• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Super B
    All District
    • Apr 2015

DCTF: Trojan Transition

2015-06-05 12:00:00 http://www.texasfootball.com/highsch...ws/view/181229

Euless Trinity readies for 2015 with new coach Chris Jensen.

By Christian Clark
    TexasFootball.com Contributor

How do you fill the void when a legend leaves?

That is the question the Trinity football program, which lost longtime head coach Steve Lineweaver to retirement in December, faces heading into the 2015 season. In 15 seasons with the Trojans, Lineweaver captured three state championships (2005, ‘07 and ‘09), and led them to a fourth state championship appearance in 2010. He compiled a 175-29 overall record, and helped give Trinity its reputation as a smash-mouth running football team along the way.

So how will Trinity adapt in the post-Lineweaver era? So far it appears that the Trojans will try to keep things, well, relatively the same.

In February, the school elevated offensive coordinator Chris Jensen to head coach.

Jensen came to Trinity alongside Lineweaver in 2000, and the two had worked together for a total of 22 seasons in multiple schools districts before Lineweaver stepped down.

Jensen had a big hand in turning the Trojans’ offense into the power-running attack. As head coach, Jensen said that the Trojans will tweak their offense to include more passing, but won’t deviate from the power-I running formation that’s reaped them so much success in the last decade and a half.

“We’re not going to change much,” Jensen said. “We’re one of the rare teams that runs the tight end out there. It’s kind of crazy that that was the offense and the spread was kind of unique. Now it’s the other way around. The spread is kind of what’s working. People seem to think it’s working for them and the I is kind of unique.”

To replace Jensen as offensive coordinator, Trinity brought in Gerald Brixey, who was previously the OC at Lewisville. Brixey has a background with Katy, the Houston-area state power after whom Trinity mimicked its power running game beginning in 2001.

“It will be the same, but he does a lot more with so to speak,” Jensen said. “The base is the same, but he’s going to have his own personality to it. I can say that.”

The Trojans will count on a pair of seniors in tailback Ja’ron Wilson and quarterback Tyler Natee to lead them them offensively. Together, they make up two of the team’s three returning starters on that side of the ball.

Wilson, who’s started since he was a sophomore, led Trinity with 1,791 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns on the ground last season. He was also a receiving threat, finishing with 227 yards and three touchdowns through the air.

Natee returns to call the signals. Last season was his first ever as a starting quarterback. The 6-foot-4, 240-pounder previously played fullback prior to making the switch.

Defensively, Trinity returns just two starters — defensive lineman Chris Daniels and outside linebacker Justus Gregg.

Gregg, who led Trinity with 118 tackles last season, said that while he sees some differences between the more “intense” Lineweaver and a more “relaxed” Jensen, he and his teammates are squarely behind their new coach.

“Is he coach Lineweaver? No,” Gregg said. “But he is coach Jensen and I feel like everybody respects him and I feel like he’s going to do a good job this year.”

Jensen and his team will be tested right off the bat in 2015. Trinity’s non-district schedule, just as it was during Lineweaver’s tenure as head coach, is daunting with a nationally televised opener against California power De La Salle and games against Rockwall, Lancaster and North Shore.

Things will be different as the Trojans trudge through those first four games and into a challenging District 7-6A slate without Lineweaver. But at the same time, many things will remain the same.

“The kids, they’re going to miss coach Lineweaver,” Jensen said. “But they’re so excited about carrying on the tradition of playing some pretty good football.”
    Super B
  • svhorns
    All State
    • Apr 2015

Natee is 6-4 240? Jesus.

Comment

• Super B
      All District
      • Apr 2015

I think that might be a typo. Last I heard he was 6'1" 255 or so.

I'll try to get some confirmation.
      Super B

Comment

• BevoBo
        Special Teams
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by svhorns
        Natee is 6-4 240? Jesus.
        Natee is definitely not 6'4, more like 6' or maybe 6'1. The weight is probably a little light also. One of our new QB's Xavier Bradley is a legit 6'4 and there is a noticeable height difference between him and Natee. Xavier has a strong arm and can run like a deer. Between him and Toby Harrah III, the QB position for Trinity will be well armed and talented for years to come.

Comment

• Super B
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

Natee is definitely not 6'4, more like 6' or maybe 6'1. The weight is probably a little light also. One of our new QB's Xavier Bradley is a legit 6'4 and there is a noticeable height difference between him and Natee. Xavier has a strong arm and can run like a deer. Between him and Toby Harrah III, the QB position for Trinity will be well armed and talented for years to come.
          Glad you stopped by. We need to get DPaul over here.
          Super B

Comment

• svhorns
            All State
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BevoBo

Is Natee still playing QB? They need to get that beast on the defensive side of the ball if they have other qbs that can get the job done.

Comment

• Super B
              All District
              • Apr 2015

Is Natee still playing QB? They need to get that beast on the defensive side of the ball if they have other qbs that can get the job done.
              Yeah. Still QB. I completely agree with you. He should be a MLB. Who knows how the season will play out. Maybe come late summer when practices begin, one of the younger QB's will "force" his way into more PT.
              Super B

Comment

• BevoBo
                Special Teams
                • Apr 2015

I think there are quite a few fans that would like to see this happen( Natee to LB or even FB), but Xavier is a soph transfer this year(junior to be) who may be a little raw still according to one coach I spoke with and TB III will be a soph (both young) and breaking in another new QB may not be ideal at this point, from the coaches perspective. At least Natee has a year under his belt. Fall camp will determine how it plays out, but from what I heard Natee will likely be the starter and I've heard Xavier may see time at WR. Natee I think will much improved, but he still is not a natural QB. That transition should of took place last year, because there was another QB(Maile) who had played the position before and is basically are carbon copy of Natee, but probably not the bull runner Natee is. Oh well., it turned out pretty well in the end. I'm just all about getting the best players on the field. Even Maile could be playing LB, instead or riding the bench, but the coaches know best, just my opinion. No knock on the coaches.

Comment

• Comanche
                  Practice Squad
                  • Apr 2015

I'm glad we had Natee last yr at Qb with 3 mins to go in the game against SGP!

Comment

• Firefox
                    Special Teams
                    • Apr 2015

Natee is 6' tall weight, a solid 250 all muscles.

Comment

• Firefox
                      Special Teams
                      • Apr 2015

So the question is, do you need a prototype qb for Trinity offense to work well?

No, you need a leader with solid decision making and confidence to lead the team. Natee had that for the most part last year. Let's not count the hail Mary.

He will be a much better passer now with some good coaching. I will also point out that the offense we were running wouldn't allow a good qb to set up properly. It has been fixed now and will allow for a decent passing attack.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎