http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/201...lman/26986071/

Opinions about this guy?
    A good hire?
    School Board voting on him right now.

Comment

• Super B
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Dang. Everyone is bailing out of GCISD. Blue was just hired there in February '14.
      Super B

Comment

• King_Curtis
        Practice Squad
        • Apr 2015

Always wanted/knew he would come home, but this isn't the position I expected him to take. Not sure how good he will, and I'm sure there will be plenty of grumblings from the south side of town

Comment

• Eagle82
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by King_Curtis
          Always wanted/knew he would come home, but this isn't the position I expected him to take. Not sure how good he will, and I'm sure there will be plenty of grumblings from the south side of town
          Guess I am ignorant here. He's an Abilene boy? Saw where it said he worked here before. Fill me in if you don't mind. Thanks,

Comment

• Super B
            All District
            • Apr 2015

GCISD is one of a few districts in the state that don't have true feeders. I think of the six middle schools they have only two feed into one HS. One into Grapevine and one into Heritage. The other four are split with some students going to Grapevine and some students going to Heritage.

There is currently a huge debate going on among residents/parents. However the populous is divided, as many do not understand the necessity. Then agreeing on which middle schools go to which HS is highly political and economicly motivated. The attendance zones of the High Schools are all jacked up. They make no sense.

This is partially or mostly? why coaches and AD's don't stay long.
            Last edited by Super B; 05-12-2015, 03:15 PM.
            Super B

Comment

• King_Curtis
              Practice Squad
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

Guess I am ignorant here. He's an Abilene boy? Saw where it said he worked here before. Fill me in if you don't mind. Thanks,
              Coach Blue was our OC and QB coach until after the 2004 season when he left to take the HC job in Georgetown and took Coach Dean with him. Dean is now the HC at Georgetown.

Comment

• Shady12
                2nd Team
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B
                GCISD is on of a few districts in the state that don't have true feeders. I think of the six middle schools they have only two feed into one HS. One into Grapevine and one into Heritage. The other four are split with some students going to Grapevine and some students going to Heritage.

There is currently a huge debate going on among residents/parents. However the populous is divided, as many do not understand the necessity. Then agreeing on which middle schools go to which HS is highly political and economicly motivated. The attendance zones of the High Schools are all jacked up. They make no sense.

That's just weird. Even without putting sports into the discussion, 'necessity' seems easy to figure out- students growing up and going to school with friends then randomly not getting to go to high school with them despite going to the same schools through middle school is bizarre and would suck as a student. I'm surprised there's not continuous outcry from the students that they get split up like that. Weird, wacky stuff.

Comment

• Eagle82
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by King_Curtis

Coach Blue was our OC and QB coach until after the 2004 season when he left to take the HC job in Georgetown and took Coach Dean with him. Dean is now the HC at Georgetown.
                  Nice, another Abilene fan here, that's great!
                  Did you play ball?

Thanks for the 411. Sounds like he will be great for the program, as long as he makes sure cooper plays second fiddle!

Comment

• Eagle82
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

That's just weird. Even without putting sports into the discussion, 'necessity' seems easy to figure out- students growing up and going to school with friends then randomly not getting to go to high school with them despite going to the same schools through middle school is bizarre and would suck as a student. I'm surprised there's not continuous outcry from the students that they get split up like that. Weird, wacky stuff.
                    I lived in NYC for about 17 years, a single dad all those years.
                    My son started K, same school through 5th grade.
                    6th - 8th grades - Unless you wanted your child to go to his designated middle school, which was at the very low end of testing standards, etc., your child tested for other schools, or academies as they refer to the upper tier schools.
                    9th - 12th grades - There is a designated high school for the area you live in but again, it usually sucked so kids apply for other high schools just as they do for college. The high schools are career oriented (like the one in Flashdance, Glee, etc.). My son had been accepted to the "High School of Economics and Finance".

So as you can see, there it's all screwed up at least what we're accustomed to here. Kids almost never have the opportunity to go to the same schools with their friends from grades K-12 even if they're neighbors.

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                      Special Teams
                      • Apr 2015

GCISD is on of a few districts in the state that don't have true feeders. I think of the six middle schools they have only two feed into one HS. One into Grapevine and one into Heritage. The other four are split with some students going to Grapevine and some students going to Heritage.

Very well said,

Comment

• Eagle82
                        All District
                        • Apr 2015

ABILENE, Texas - In his first stint with the Abilene Independent School District, Phil Blue oversaw the development of an explosive offense as an assistant football coach at Abilene High.
                        As the school district's new athletic director, he'll oversee the development of all sports programs at both AHS and Cooper.
                        "I am just thrilled to have this opportunity," said Blue, who was introduced Tuesday at a news conference at the AISD administration building. "I want to thank the administration here, the selection committee, for this opportunity. I promise that I'll work extremely hard to empower our coaches, help our student athletes reach their potential."
                        Blue, who has spent the past year as the athletic director for the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD near Fort Worth, served as offensive coordinator at AHS from 2001-05. His hiring was approved by the AISD board on Monday. He will replace Jerry Gayden, who is retiring at the end of August.
                        Dr. Audra Ude, acting superintendent for AISD, said Blue's appointment fills a key role in the AISD administration.
                        "It's an important decision as it impacts many of our students and families as well as the community as a whole," Ude said. "Our athletic program is what helps inspire a lot of the pride in our community and in our school district.
                        "We have a gentleman who really loves Abilene, and he and his family want to be here and support our programs and help grow them. He has a good tenure of experience in the athletic director-type of position, so he knows what the expectations are. And his experience serving in districts that have two major high schools competing will also be of great benefit to us."
                        Blue said his past experience in Abilene made the decision to return an easy one.
                        "I told the committee when we went through the interview process (and was asked), ‘Why would you be interested in coming back to Abilene,' the answer was very simple," Blue said. "It was the people here.
                        "I really feel indebted to the people here. So many in this room have been mentors and helpers as my career has gone on. I feel like this is a chance for me to repay some of the great things these people have done for me. I am proud to be in AISD."
                        Blue's contract with AISD takes effect July 1, but he could start his new job earlier.
                        "Hopefully, we can be here just as quickly as possible pending the release of Grapevine-Colleyville ISD," he said. "There are some high-level hires that need to be done in that district. I told them I would help in a limited manner because there's work to be done here.
                        "There's always an adjustment period. Essentially, every time I've done this and made a move, I've tried to get boots on the ground, get out there and meet our coaches and principals, develop that relationship and ask how I can help."
                        Blue, who graduated from Greenville High School, earned a bachelor's degree from Texas-Arlington and a masters in educational administration from Lamar. He began his coaching career at Texas Christian Academy in 1985 and served as head football coach at Celeste, Quinlan, Mineral Wells and Farmersville before joining Steve Warren's staff at AHS. He returned to the head coaching ranks at Georgetown in 2005, moving to full-time AD when the district opened its second high school, East View, in 2008.
                        At Grapevine-Colleyville, he was in charge of an athletic department that, like Abilene, had one school in Class 6A (Colleyville Heritage) and one in Class 5A (Grapevine).
                        "The big difference is travel," Blue said. "I used to watch a lot of out-of-town games. I don't know that I'll be doing a whole lot of that here. Really, in what my department does there's not a lot different. Kids are kids, coaches are coaches and schools are schools. We all pretty much have the same mission.
                        "I don't know that there's a whole lot of difference other than here we have to jump on a bus and drive three hours to play people. Where I was at Grapevine-Colleyville, I could watch two volleyball games and two football games in one night. Being able to go observe a lot of our coaches a lot of times was really nice."

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                          Special Teams
                          • May 2015

GCISD is one of a few districts in the state that don't have true feeders. I think of the six middle schools they have only two feed into one HS. One into Grapevine and one into Heritage. The other four are split with some students going to Grapevine and some students going to Heritage.

I get that but I don't get it....why leave barely a year into a new gig...? That's awfully quick to be pulling up stakes...IMO

Comment

• Eagle82
                            All District
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

I get that but I don't get it....why leave barely a year into a new gig...? That's awfully quick to be pulling up stakes...IMO
                            Well it is Abilene! Word is Seth Green wanted to come here but his dad couldn't get a job so he went with that other Eagle team.

If he has a family, I would be he had a great experience while here and if given a choice between the two areas (no offense), who wouldn't want to raise their children here, that is as long as they live in the AH zone.

Good to see you here, hope more Abilene fans come on board!

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                              Special Teams
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82

Well it is Abilene! Word is Seth Green wanted to come here but his dad couldn't get a job so he went with that other Eagle team.

If he has a family, I would be he had a great experience while here and if given a choice between the two areas (no offense), who wouldn't want to raise their children here, that is as long as they live in the AH zone.

Good to see you here, hope more Abilene fans come on board!
                              Glad to be here...I'll spread the word. Makes perfect sense to you, me and other locals but the DFW faithful will never buy into that as a reason..!!

Comment

• CHill
                                1st Team
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

Glad to be here...I'll spread the word. Makes perfect sense to you, me and other locals but the DFW faithful will never buy into that as a reason..!!

Say what?

Comment

• Super B
                                  All District
                                  • Apr 2015

The key to living in the DFW, is to be west of the Dallas/Tarrant county line. It's a whole other world over Dallas way. NE Tarrant is nice.
                                  Super B

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                                    Special Teams
                                    • May 2015

The key to living in the DFW, is to be west of the Dallas/Tarrant county line. It's a whole other world over Dallas way. NE Tarrant is nice.
                                    I would totally agree with that statement...

Comment

• CHill
                                      1st Team
                                      • Apr 2015

Especially south dallas and south of I-20, that area is crazy!

Comment

• Super B
                                        All District
                                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Jrstar

Especially south dallas and south of I-20, that area is crazy!
                                        South of I-20 isn't bad unless your talking along I-45. DeSoto, Cedar Hill and Grand Prairie aren't bad.

Mainly what I mean is the significant increase in population and traffic. I hate driving through there.
                                        Super B

Comment

• chhspantherfan
                                          Special Teams
                                          • Apr 2015

This is interesting.. Every day this week is the same date backwards:
                                          5/13/15
                                          5/14/15
                                          5/15/15
                                          5/16/15
                                          5/17/15

Today the GCISD and Colleyville Heritage has announced that Defensive Coordinator Coach Judd Thrash has been appointed to the Interim Head Coach. Coach Thrash has and extensive coaching background over the past 10 years and has been instrumental in the development of our defense this past season. We welcome his leadership and passion for our football team. As Coach Thrash and the other coaches get our boys ready for our Spring Game on Tuesday May 19th, I hope that every parent will join us next Tuesday evening at Heritage Middle School to support our boy and coaches

Comment

• Super B
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by chhspantherfan
                                            This is interesting.. Every day this week is the same date backwards:
                                            5/13/15
                                            5/14/15
                                            5/15/15
                                            5/16/15
                                            5/17/15

Today the GCISD and Colleyville Heritage has announced that Defensive Coordinator Coach Judd Thrash has been appointed to the Interim Head Coach. Coach Thrash has and extensive coaching background over the past 10 years and has been instrumental in the development of our defense this past season. We welcome his leadership and passion for our football team. As Coach Thrash and the other coaches get our boys ready for our Spring Game on Tuesday May 19th, I hope that every parent will join us next Tuesday evening at Heritage Middle School to support our boy and coaches

How long does the interim tag last? Are they leaving it on until they decide on a permanent HC, or to see how well he performs in 2015? I take it this is his first HC gig?
                                            Super B

Comment

Working...