Leave a comment:

• Eagle2
    replied
    Part2http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/on-the-move/part2.html

Leave a comment:

• Farmer
    replied
    Originally posted by svhorns
    Interesting thread. I recently saw a pretty darn good running back in the Houston area talking to several manvel players on twitter. The RB was asking if he moved there would he need to attend 2 a days and just some other general questions about the school. It was a conversation that was being had out in the open for everyone to see. The article touched on a point regarding the connections kids have these days via social media and how it can influence a family to move or not. There's no way to close all the loopholes without a strict ruling such as the sit out the year rule. If Texas wants to shutdown the transfer epidemic than I see that being the only way to do so, sit out a year.

agree! It's a more connected world today than ever and high schools sports HS really taken off because of the publicity schools receive. It's only natural to want to be apart of that. I would even go as far to propose a rule that once you start HS if it is proven that you moved for athletic purposes then you forfeit any years of eligibility you have left. I know that would never pass and is very harsh but so is having in essence rent a teams taking away from communities and programs who are doing things with their own kids and the right way.

Leave a comment:

• Farmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagle2

Seth Green?

he could have stayed out but chose not to. He suffers the consequences and sits.

Leave a comment:

• svhorns
    replied
    Interesting thread. I recently saw a pretty darn good running back in the Houston area talking to several manvel players on twitter. The RB was asking if he moved there would he need to attend 2 a days and just some other general questions about the school. It was a conversation that was being had out in the open for everyone to see. The article touched on a point regarding the connections kids have these days via social media and how it can influence a family to move or not. There's no way to close all the loopholes without a strict ruling such as the sit out the year rule. If Texas wants to shutdown the transfer epidemic than I see that being the only way to do so, sit out a year.

Leave a comment:

• BevoBo
    replied
    So a senior that has been permitted to transfer at the end of junior year, under the sit out rule would be ineligible?

Yes! But if you knew the rule upfront, this would factor in your decision to move and/or when to move. If parents are moving now for little Johnny, then why can't little Johnny move now for Parents or family interests. It's not full proof, but the parents would know what would happen if they moved and this would factor in their decision. If the move is legit for the best interest of the family(job, housing, education) and not soley for little Johnny, then that's their decision. What I think it would do, is eliminate parents moving strictly for athletics, or splitting family's up in 2 different states or renting houses/apt temporarily in area's to accommodate little Johnny's athletic exploits.

Reading the article, it's obvious there are loop holes and DEC seems to have there hands tied in some cases. It"s not perfect, but it would send a msg that Texas would like to keep it's football a more traditional way. I just don't want it to escalate into Florida or something that could have been prevented before it's to late. Maybe it is already...idk.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle2
    replied
    Originally posted by Farmer

absolutely he would. Seniors can find a way to stay put to finish out their senior year if not then tough cookies
    Seth Green?

Leave a comment:

• Farmer
    replied

So a senior that has been permitted to transfer at the end of junior year, under the sit out rule would be ineligible?

absolutely he would. Seniors can find a way to stay put to finish out their senior year if not then tough cookies

Leave a comment:

• Eagle2
    replied
    You go back to a mandatory sit for a year. Is t a fair system? No but to allow open cheating because you can't prove that parents are openly lying to allow Johnny or Susie Q a shot to play, is the nature of the beast. That would put a stop to a lot of the crap you see going on now which is what it is. Nothing but crap and if we're not careful we are going to turn a once sacred, pure game into a total joke. We're already closer to thay than people realize

Leave a comment:

• Farmer
    replied
    You go back to a mandatory sit for a year. Is t a fair system? No but to allow open cheating because you can't prove that parents are openly lying to allow Johnny or Susie Q a shot to play, is the nature of the beast. That would put a stop to a lot of the crap you see going on now which is what it is. Nothing but crap and if we're not careful we are going to turn a once sacred, pure game into a total joke. We're already closer to thay than people realize

Leave a comment:

• Eagle2
    replied
    It's still sickening to see what's going on. Seems to be a big issue in basketball but football isn't far behind. The whole Bridgeport basketball team makes me want to throw up. It did back then and reading their story again is just blatant cheating and sad.
    I am glad to see the DMN digging deeper into this. I remember being concerned about this topic on the old 5A board back in 2005-2006 and on with the transfers we saw at Carroll. Some of those fans who are now screaming loudest about this were the ones telling us we were paranoid thinking that something illegal was going on.

This crap is here to stay and I'm afraid it isn't getting any better.
    Any possible viable solution? You read in the beginning (1930) athletes sat out year. Then in '80 it was changed. Now loophole, after season/end of semester. Kids are transferring in middle school. How do you challenge/prove parents/coaches are lying? Just asking for conversation stimulate interest sake.

Leave a comment:

• Farmer
    replied
    It's still sickening to see what's going on. Seems to be a big issue in basketball but football isn't far behind. The whole Bridgeport basketball team makes me want to throw up. It did back then and reading their story again is just blatant cheating and sad.
    I am glad to see the DMN digging deeper into this. I remember being concerned about this topic on the old 5A board back in 2005-2006 and on with the transfers we saw at Carroll. Some of those fans who are now screaming loudest about this were the ones telling us we were paranoid thinking that something illegal was going on.

This crap is here to stay and I'm afraid it isn't getting any better.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle2
    started a topic The Transfer Epidemic

The Transfer Epidemic

There has been discussion about transfers. Here is a great article from Smith, Wixon, and Riddle of the DMN that takes us deep into the subject with responses from coaches for and against and possible solutions. Some great points that some here have already mention along with others. Great insight. Enjoy.

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2...ove/index.html
Working...