Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Warren can’t duplicate opening-game magic

SAN MARCOS — Warren sophomore shortstop Austin Germain pressed her hands against her face and wandered briefly around the infield.

Germain eventually made her way into her team’s dugout, tears mixed with face paint streaming down her cheeks, when reality began to settle in.

The Warriors’ season was over.

Austin High defeated Warren 4-1 in Game 2 and 8-0 in Game 3 on Saturday to capture their Class 6A second-round series at San Marcos High School.

The Maroons (22-5-1) will play Judson in the third round. The teams will play a one-game playoff at 7 p.m. Thursday in San Marcos.

“I’m sorry, to my team, that we couldn’t make it further,” Warren senior outfielder Lauren Garcia said. “I hoped it would’ve turned out differently.”

About 40 hours earlier, Warren (23-6) appeared on the verge of making the third round for a second straight season.

The Warriors won the series opener 3-0 on senior outfielder Cassie Davis’ three-run, inside-the-park homer in the top of the seventh inning.

It was Warren’s only hit, but it exemplified the team’s penchant for coming up clutch, often against the odds. A year ago, with a roster loaded with underclassmen, the Warriors advanced to the Region IV-6A final for the first time.

There was no late-game magic, though, for Warren on a warm Saturday afternoon.

Austin High senior pitcher Danielle Serna made sure. The Colorado State signee allowed one run and seven hits in Saturday’s doubleheader and had a combined 26 strikeouts.

In the decisive Game 3, Serna tossed a three-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts. She worked out of jams in the first, third, fourth and sixth innings after Warren...

More...
Working...