X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin
    TX HS Football Talk
    • Mar 2015

Daily Craig: 240 and counting

Today is the Marine Corps Birthday. 240 years ago the Corps was founded at TUN TAVERN IN Philadelphia..My grandfather (A Navy vet) gave me sage advice. "son, what ever you do, don't go to the Marines, those guys are nuts". A few years later, I went against my grandpa's advice and enlisted in the Marines. I do want to point out a few beers led me to a recruiter in Tennessee and the rest is lame history. I can say without question I did my best to stay out of the way. I was asked at a function some weeks ago.."can you sum up your military history". i said yes, in 2 words." PERFECT ATTENDENCE". However, I have been very proud to be a Marine and there is no such thing as a "FORMER MARINE" Years ago, I had an encounter just outside the gates of PARRIS ISLAND that got my attention IN THAT AREA.

I was having lunch after a brief visit to see Marine recruits in training. I was not trained on the island but rather in San Diego. I WAS A HOLLYWOOD MARINE. I saw 2 drill instructors dining at the table behind me. They had set their 'SMOKIES ASIDE" since no Marine enters a building with covers on.TO THOSE NOT AWARE, A cover is a hat or cap.  I said "hello, I am a former". The Staff Sgt. then says, "what do you farm?" That's when it hit home. THERE ARE NO SUCH PEOPLE AS FORMER MARINES. When you consider the Marines have slop chutes, pogey bait, Irish pennants, AND FART SACKS, I truly believe my grandpa was wrong. Like the rest of the nut cases, I belonged wearing the EAGLE, GLOBE, AND ANCHOR OF THE CORPS.  I gotta see if there is gonna be a junk on the bunk. In memory of the birthday, I WANT TO SALUTE FIRST LT. CARL SIMONTON, USMC. 6th DEFENSE BATTALION. MIDWAY ISLAND. My uncle was a helluva Marine. SEMPER FI, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES.

More...
Working...