• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin
    TX HS Football Talk
    • Mar 2015

Daily Craig: Please root for the home team

(PLEASE ROOT FOR HOME TEAM) 

The history part of me has kicked in. THE LAST TIME THE ASTROS played a really big game in NEW YORK IT WAS 1986. It was the other NY team. You older fans (I can relate) will remember Game 5 of the NLCS AT SHEA STADIUM. I remember as we had sat through a rain out the day before. The makeup game was the next day at NOON. On Oct. 14 the Astros and Mets played 12 innings with NY getting a winning knock from CATCHER GARY CARTER OFF CHARLIE KERFELD. Carter had been 1-23 against Houston in the regular season and through four previous playoff games. We know what happened the next day at the Dome. The ASTROS LOST A 3-0 LEAD and the series 4-2. The Mets then beat Boston to win the World Series. However, the untold story followed the Game 5 loss. Today it would be unheard of to play a game in NEW YORK, followed by another day game the next day in HOUSTON. But that is what happened.

The Channel 2 crew along with others were flying back to Houston at 6 a.m. Buzz Webb, then a photog for Ch. 13, was checking in when he set his camera on the deck. A bad guy ran by us and grabbed the camera. He was heading for the exit chased by the likes of yours truly and LONGTIME KPRC EMPLOYEE RICK MCFARLAND. The crook dropped the camera. It broke into several pieces. For some reason I remember that better than the game itself.

Tonight the Beard goes against the YANKEES IN THE BRONX. I AM CONFIDENT IT WILL BE A GOOD RESULT. I just want to remind the photographers to watch their gear at the airport. I remember the bad guy was wearing a YANKEES CAP. I also gotta remember Craig Reynolds was safe at first in Game 5. No replay, too bad. Now it's KEUCHEL TIME.

Read more about Craig Roberts here.

More...
Working...