X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin
    TX HS Football Talk
    • Mar 2015

Daily Craig: Remembering Yogi Berra

Craig Roberts returns to KPRC 2 with his 'Daily Craig' column.

In less than one week Milo and now Yogi. You didn't need last names when talking about either. Sort of like Bum or Earl or Hakeem or Clyde.

YOGI came to Houston to help coach the Astros after he got dumped by STEINBRENNER (only the last name needed) in 1985.  He did more than help. He became the the go-to man for guys like Bigg AND Bags. I was always in awe of NO. 8. I, more than once, sat by him or wandered to the batting cage to mix it up or just listen to him talk to other players. He played with the best and was the best. He played in 14 World Series in 18 seasons. I was part of an ASTROS Fantasy Camp in the early 90's and had a real uniform with the nNo. 2. Ch. 2, get it? I had decided to do a story about why the infielders don't "talk it up" in the BIGS. You know, infield chatter.

I walked onto the field at KISSIMMEE (a town where carnival workers retire) and the first Astro I see is Yogi. He said, "Well, you look like a ballplayer." That was all I needed. Come to think of it that was another Yogi-ism. He asked what I WAS DOING. I asked him about the infield chatter thing. He said "A lot of the guys don't talk Spanish." That was good enough for me. I have a signed baseball at home reading Yogi on the sweet spot. Sweet. I even stole one of his sayings to promote a TV SHOW.  "You can observe a lot just by watching." Lovers of baseball and YOGI did just that.

Read more about Craig Roberts here.

More...
Working...