Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

AHS and Cooper ready for Crosstown Showdown

Our focus is on the Crosstown Showdown. The Abilene High Eagles and the Cooper Cougars meet for the 56th time on Friday night.
    This time around, Cooper enters the game with a perfect 2-0 record with wins over Keller and Grapevine.
    Abilene High is 0-2 with losses to to San Angelo Central and Midland Lee.
    Some rivalries get so heated they aren't fun to play, but the Eagles and Cougars say this one is a blast.
    Cooper's Myller Royals said, "This is one of the funnest games of the year and that's because we get to compete with our friends from across town. Friends that we've been growing up with since Pop Warner and everything."
    Abilene High's Raekwon Millsap said, "It's just that we know the people across from the ball so it just makes it exciting for bragging right purposes. We just want to go out there and get the win so we have our senior year to brag, say we beat Cooper."
    Cooper's Ender Freeman said, "Coach Moebes always says it a nameless, faceless opponent, and we still try to keep that mindset, but I know those guys. I know Doak Holloway. I know Wes Berry. I've grown up playing baseball and footbal with them. So, it's kind of different when you know who's behind that helmet."
    Abilene High's Wes Berry said, "It's going to be fun because we know a lot of those guys lines up next to us. Growing up with them, Little League baseball, pop warner, all of that stuff so it's going to be a fun atmosphere, it's going to be a fun time."
    Cooper's Justin Wright said, "I did grow up with a lot of them. I did play with a lot of them. So, it makes it a greater football experience."
    Abilene High's Niyungeko Moise said, "Their guys and our guys we kind of know each other, so we've been talking about this game since summer, so it's going to be a really good show. They've got a good team, we've got a good team, so it's going to be interesting."
    Here are some facts about the crosstown showdown.
    Cooper leads the series with 32 victories.
    Abilene High won 11 of the last 13 games.
    You have to score a lot of points to win the game.
    The winner scored 30 or more points in 11 of the last 12 meetings.
    Oddly enough there haven't been too many close games with only five decided by a touchdown or less since 2000.
    Abilene High and Cooper are ready to go. They meet at Shotwell Stadium tomorrow night. The kickoff is set for 7:30. All the cool kids will be there.

More...
Working...