Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Brownwood's Bowden shines at QB

The Brownwood Lions got the 2017 season off to a great start in week one with an easy victory over class 5A Canyon and quarterback Tommy Bowden's play was a big reason for the victory.
    This 2017 Brownwood Lions team is a much different team than I saw in 2016. They're more relaxed, more confident in Coach Maxfield's second year. They know the system better, so all around, it's a lot more comfortable, and it helps that they have an experienced offensive line, and a great leader in quarterback Tommy Bowden.
    Head coach Kyle Maxfield said, "Our quarterback. It was his first Friday night under the lights, and he had a great performance. Took care of the ball, was really efficient with the offense."
    Liam Mccraw said, "Tommy is, he's always going to put everything he has into anything he does, and I love having him as our starting quarterback, and it didn't look like his first varsity outing, and that's because he's been putting work in everyday in practice against our defense, which I personally think is one of the best ones in the state."
    Bowden put up around 250 total yards with four touchdowns in his debut as QB, but of course he did have a few nerves.
    Tommy Bowden said, "I was really nervous before the game. When we started going and scored that first time, I settled in a lot and got more comfortable."
    Mccaw said, "He does everything he can to be the best leader that we can have on this team. I really appreciate him and his hard work and just everything he does."
    The Lions of course benefited from the numbers Tommy put up, and he couldn't have done it without the experience of his o-line and the weapons around him.
    Maxfield said, "Very experienced line up front that he doesn't have to win the game, he doesn't have to put everyone on his shoulders. He's got great skill people around him."
    Bowden said, "The team helped me out tremendously. Our line is very experienced, and like coach Maxfield said, I don't have to win it all on my own, so that helped a lot."
    Brownwood has a tough opponent on Friday in 7th ranked Graham. They'll be playing at home for the first time this season, and the Lions are preparing.

More...
Working...