Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Lions optimistic for 2017 season

Albany has a strong senior class this year, and they're led by a senior quarterback. All of that is good news for head coach Denny Faith.

Denney Faith said, "When your quarterback is your leader it always makes everything better, and he's definitely one of our leaders. You know we got a good senior group this year. A couple of them have played in two NFL stadiums, so it gives some confidence to them."

The players agree. This 2017 team is going to be close.

Dax Neese said, "I feel like we're pretty close as a team, and I feel like we're going to have a pretty good year in terms of like being together."

Albany's a consistently successful program, and this year Texas Football Magazine has them ranked number two in the preseason rankings, but of course that number does not mean much to the Lions right now. What matters to them is when they get on the field and show what they can do, and this year one of the big goals for the team is getting past the third round.

Henry Kelly said, "Definitely just making it farther than last year and just being able to work together."

Like I said, the Lions' don't give rankings much attention, but coach Faith doesn't mind having a target on their backs.

Faith said, "I think we do have a target on our back a little bit, and I think that's good. I mean I want the target on us. I don't want to be the guy shooting, I want to be the guy being shot at, so that's a good feeling to know that people around our district and our area have that kind of respect for us."

The Lions finally got to put on the pads and play "real football" at the end of week one, so now they can get back in a real football routine.

Kelly said, "It was a lot of fun. Yeah it's nice to be able to do all the drills and start to get in the routine."

Faith said, "It takes a while to get used to wearing those, and when they get used to them it'll get even more aggressive, and you just kind of work yourself into football shape."

Albany is ready to go in 2017, and they have big goals, but coach Faith says it all starts in district.

More...
Working...