Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

2017 Player to Watch: Ender Freeman

Leading the Cooper Cougar offense this season is going to be senior quarterback Ender Freeman who takes over for Austin Smith, but he's not worried because of the guys he has around him.
    Freeman said, "Our role as a quarterback is to be a point guard. It's to get the ball in the play maker's hands, so like our running back with Tyrees, with Myllar and Sean, all those guys returning. It's my job to just be like the field general and just to get the ball in their hands and let them do what they do best, and that's make plays."
    Ender isn't new to the position. He was the backup qb last season and had over 400 passing yards with five touchdowns. Not to mention that in the playoffs he led a second half comeback against Aledo, so he's shown he's a leader, plus he has more confidence this year.
    Todd Moebes said, "He's grown tremendously. He's got some great reps in the fall and certainly came in against Aledo in the second half and did a lot of good things. In the off season I think he's getting better. I think he's got a lot more confidence in what we're trying to do offensively."
    Freeman said, "I feel a lot more confidence because I feel like, especially because I got some time against Aledo, and that was the state champions last year, so I feel like nothing could really surprise me. I feel like I have a lot more confidence from that."
    Most guys start prepping for football season in the spring, but Ender was pitching for the Coogs' baseball team, so transitioning back to football is a little different for him.
    Freeman said, "It's kind of weird sometimes like right now I'm still playing some baseball as well as playing football. The throws are definitely different being a pitcher and a quarterback. It's just something that takes a lot of focus and a lot of preparation. You can't go pitch one day and then come back and play quarterback the next day and have good throws, but it's something you have to work on and get used to kind of."
    Cooper has struggled to get past the third round of the playoffs every year. Ender wants to help break that pattern.
    Freeman said, "You know something has to change. We can't do the same thing every year and expect to get results, so something's got to change. We've got to come out working hard and have more energy. I think we've been doing a good job of that this summer. We have to keep that up. We've just got to play our hearts out you know?"
    Leadership on a team looks to different to everyone, and Ender is no different.
    Freeman said, "I'm just going to be a good example, you know sometimes you don't always have to be vocal, but I just want to do the best I can as a leader and captain."
    Ender Freeman. A BCH Sports Player to Watch

More...
Working...