Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Hammonds Running Unbeaten Bluecats' "O"

Some guys are on a high school team knowing they're the starting running back or quarterback, but sometimes plans change, and you get tossed in a position you didn't plan on playing. That's what happened to Coleman's Bryson Hammonds.

"I was set to play the running back spot and get a lot of carries and a lot of reps, but it wasn't anything like playing quarterback, and taking the rest of the offense on my shoulders," Bryson Hammonds said. "It was a big step in the athlete I've become."

The Bluecats had high expectations for Cord Norris, the quarterback before Hammonds last season, but after he was injured head coach John Elder knew Bryson was the guy, and the players did too. The Bluecats know Bryson is their leader.

Walt Arnold said, "He's inspiring. He's motivating everybody. He's never down on anybody, and he's always uplifting us. He never thinks it's all about him. He's always giving credit to everybody else, that helps everybody play as a team more."

"The kind of kid that he hit the ground running on it," head coach John Elder said. "He accepts responsibility, and he's going to work hard to do anything he can to help this team and town win."

Bryson literally hits the field running out here. He started out as a running back here at Coleman. He had 165 rushing yards against Comanche this season. He's a state level track runner. This kid is fast. It's hard to catch him, which is a huge advantage to the Coleman offense.

Arnold said, "He's elusive, he's hard to take down, he's strong too. I mean it takes more than one guy to take him down most of the time, and he's quick too. State track champion. I mean, it's hard to catch him. He's fast."

Hammonds was not supposed to be a quarterback, but he's adapted, he has the skills, and more importantly, he loves it.

"I wouldn't trade it for anything. I mean it's a spot where, when you win people tell you you did great, and when you lose it's your fault, but it's a spot I like to have," Hammonds said.

"I like to have the pressure on my shoulders. I like to let these guys know that they can believe in me, and I believe in them wholeheartedly. I'm nothing without them. They're everything to me."

More...
Working...