Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Warren's Wisdom: Week 1 Reactions

David Robinett talks about team's response to results in Week 1 of the high school football season.

David Robinett said, "Alright it's time for another Warren's Wisdom. Every Monday former Abilene High head coach Steve Warren joins us to talk about high school football and anything that we fancy to talk about. Let's talk about high school football. First week is in the bag. Some teams performed really well, some teams struggled a little bit. Let's talk about the teams that struggled a little bit. How do they keep that from defining who they are?"

Steve Warren(:23-:28) said, "You know I think the big thing is you go back and study what you did good and enhance that a little bit, but then you go back and look at the game conditions that you were under and a lot of these kids that played out there Friday night are brand new, and they were wide eyed, so the old addage of, you see the most improvement between week 1 and week 2 really does hold true, and so I think you'll see some teams that weren't quite as successful Friday night be a lot more successful this coming Friday night because they've got some guys that have got a little game time under their belt now."

David said, "Okay, now the teams that won. They are feeling really good about themselves, and I suppose it's the coach's job on Saturday to point out, okay it's great we won, but here's where you messed up. We still have to get better. How do coaches go about keeping their players heads from getting too big and start thinking about week 2?"

Warren said, "Well you got to put it behind you immediately and go right back to work, win or lose. If you're dwelling on last week then you're probably going to get beat, but the old addage of watching film. Feeling like, you know, we weren't quite as good as we thought we were, but we weren't as bad as we thought we were either, so that always rings true. There's always good things you can find on film. There's always bad things you can find on film. There's always things you can work on, especially this early in the year, and I think all these coaches in this area are great coaches. I'm telling you we got some great coaches in this area, and I know all of them have gone right back to work for the next opponent this week."

More...
Working...