X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

LeFevre Steps Down as McM Men's Soccer Coach; Tarango to Guide Team in 2016

Contributed by Dave Beyer, McMurry Sports Information Director

McMurry University men's head soccer coach Chris LeFevre has resigned his position to assume the same position at NAIA scholarship program University of the Cumberlands in Florence, Kentucky. McM Director of Athletics Sam Ferguson has further announced that Tyler Tarango - who served as an assistant coach for the War Hawks' men's and women's team in 2015 - will serve as the interim men's head soccer coach at McMurry for the 2016 season.

Tarango played four seasons for McMurry from 2009-12. He was a National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) all-American defender in 2012, leading then War Hawks NCCAA Central Region championship and a sixth place national finish.

After graduation from McM, Tarango played professionally for two years, one in England and one in Thailand. In returning to Abilene, the Pearland, Texas native assisted with both the War Hawks men's and women's teams in all aspects of the respective programs, including recruiting, on-field and game-day operations.

"We wish Chris and his family nothing but the best," Ferguson said. "We appreciate the work ethic that Chris brought to our program, as his tremendous recruitment efforts helped to stabilize our program in a time of transition. I know I speak for all of McM Athletics family in expressing our appreciation to him. We will certainly miss him.

"I have confidence that Tyler will do an outstanding job in keeping our program headed in the right direction and I appreciate his willingness to step in to ensure continuity, both for our returning players and recruits. As an alum, he has a special relationship with this program and is eager to see it grow in all respects. Our program continues to be in good hands."

For his part, Tarango is eager to embrace his new role with McM.

"I want to see the War Hawks' men's soccer program become a force in the ASC and beyond," said Tarango. "There are some great teams in this league and there's no reason why McMurry can't be right there among them. We have some quality young talent and some exciting recruits coming in.

"I've been blessed to gain some valuable coaching experience working with both Chris and (McM head women's soccer coach) Megan Schmidt. Now is my chance to give back to McMurry, as the men's interim head coach."

In his one season at McMurry, LeFevre's team went 1-15-1. Eight of those losses were by two or less goals and with a roster sporting 14 new players out of 18 total roster spots.

"I first want to thank (McMurry President) Dr. Sandra Harper and Athletics Director Sam Ferguson for giving me the opportunity to come to McMurry in January 2015," LeFevre said. "I have truly enjoyed time here and I firmly believe in McMurry and the administration. This was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make and, although I am leaving, I am forever grateful for my time here. McMurry is a special place."

More...
Working...