Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Eastland Uses 7-On-7 As Motivation For Season

For high school football players, the summer is spent playing 7-on-7.

For most players, and specifically skill players, they will spend the summer working on their throws and catches.

The Eastland Mavericks are using this summer's 7-on-7 practices to get used to new head coach, James Morton's new way of doing things.

Coach Morton says he likes what he's seeing from his players.

"I think the big thing we want to do is establish the discipline and the program, and I've seen maturity and growth in that part of it," said Morton. "Obviously the other thing you see on the field is to and defend better and throwing and catching better. I like 7-on-7 because it gets kids motivated to go out and throw and catch on their own. Outside of that, I can't say a whole lot about it. It's positive and I think that's a huge positive for us that we'll take away from our program and help us in the fall."

The quarterbacks of 7-on-7 teams can definitely get a lot of work during these games since they are mostly throwing the ball.

Quarterback Chris Martinez thinks he's gaining a lot of experience this summer.

"Just take the experience and learning the plays better and just working on your catching for the season," said Martinez.

The Mavericks haven't qualified for the state tournament. They will continue to work through July and start practice on the first Monday in August.

More...
Working...