Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Abilene High Hits the Ground Running in Spring Practice

Football is back in the Big Country. The Abilene High Eagles are strapping up the pads, and are ready to get spring practices going.

Abram Smith said, "We started out yesterday, and now we're just trying to fix things and get the new guys ready for the upcoming year."

The Eagles return six starters on offense and five on defense. That leaves 11 spots to fill before the first games. They'll use these spring practices to find those players.

Coach Del Van Cox said, "We've got to figure out who our backups are as well as our starters. That's the key. We've got to figure out some depth at key positions. We've got to figure out our offensive linemen and defensive line for sure."

This marks the second year of springs practices for the Eagles under head coach Del Van Cox. Cox says he learned a lot from that first year, and is ready to implement it.

Cox said, "This year we're going to have to do a little more two-way players. We're going to have to adjust practice a little bit differently so we can adapt to getting guys reps on both sides of the ball."

One thing that helps is having his QB back. Peyton Killam returns for his second year under center.

Peyton Killam said, "I still have another year, and I still have a team that we need to build for a goal, so that's what I'm thinking about every day, and I'm just trying to get better as a team, and coming out here and working hard every day."

Smith said, "We've worked for a year now and the plays are not new to us. It's going to make the flow a lot easier and a lot quicker."

The Eagles will continue spring practice for the next few weeks, ending with their annual Black/Gold game on May 20th at Shotwell Stadium.

More...
Working...