Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chhspantherfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Super B

D1 talent is overrated. Coaching is where it's at. A few years back, Bell had lots of talent on their roster, but insufficient coaching. Last few seasons players quit the team. If Glaze is what we think he might be, participation will go up, more talent will come onto the football team at Bell. While not Cedar Hill, Bell has the potential to have just as much talent as Trinity, Lamar, Coppell, SLC or whatever other good team you can name not along the I-20 corridor.

But Bell has I-20 Speedway quality....... they went 41.44 last Spring and who knows who moved in, so they might be real good real soon.
    Last edited by chhspantherfan; 08-13-2015, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by SLC13

I agree, Glaze does seem to have the right pedigree to do well. The question will be can he coach up a team that's not loaded with D1 talent like he had at Cedar Hill.
    D1 talent is overrated. Coaching is where it's at. A few years back, Bell had lots of talent on their roster, but insufficient coaching. Last few seasons players quit the team. If Glaze is what we think he might be, participation will go up, more talent will come onto the football team at Bell. While not Cedar Hill, Bell has the potential to have just as much talent as Trinity, Lamar, Coppell, SLC or whatever other good team you can name not along the I-20 corridor.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Originally posted by BevoBo
    Could be a sleeping giant... Maybe not this year, but down the road. Glaze seems like a good hire for Bell. Hope he sticks around if/when he is successful.
    I agree, Glaze does seem to have the right pedigree to do well. The question will be can he coach up a team that's not loaded with D1 talent like he had at Cedar Hill.

Leave a comment:

• BevoBo
    replied
    Could be a sleeping giant... Maybe not this year, but down the road. Glaze seems like a good hire for Bell. Hope he sticks around if/when he is successful.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Countdown to kickoff: New coach brings winning attitude to L.D. Bell team that won once in 2014
    By Bruce Unrue
    cunrue@star-telegram.com

Last season: 1-9 (1-5 in District 7-6A)

Key players: QB Dominique Lawson (6-0, 180); WR Tacorian Howard (6-2, 190); OL Anesu “Brandon” Sitole (6-1, 280); OL Brendon Weatherspoon (6-4, 290); RB Ivan Trayler (5-9, 165); RB Terry Pace (5-8, 170); DT Blake Jenkins (5-11, 235); LB Fernando Lazo (5-10, 185); P Tyler Dunlop (6-3, 195).

The big picture: The Blue Raiders may be coming off a bad season, but new head coach Mike Glaze knows a thing or two about winning. Last year at this time, he was helping prepare back-to-back 6A Division II state champion Cedar Hill as its offensive coordinator. “The first day he walked into spring practice, he showed us his state championship ring, and said, ‘This is what you’re preparing to play for.’ ” said senior DT Blake Jenkins. “Just seeing the confidence in the way he does things, we’re starting to believe — why not us?” Glaze is planning to channel a lot that he learned from Cedar Hill coach Joey McGuire during his seven years there. “Coach McGuire will have his fingerprints all over this program,” Glaze said. The new coach believes Bell isn’t far away from being a playoff team again. Senior QB Dominique Lawson, who threw for 810 yards and ran for another 606 in 2014, picked up Glaze’s complicated multiple offense quickly in the spring.

He’ll have a big target in WR Tacorian Howard (27 catches, 222 yards, 2 TDs) along with two inside receivers in Ricky Walton and Jonathan Castillo, who were part of Bell’s record-setting 4x100 relay team last spring. Add to this mix a pair of young, promising running backs in Ivan Traylor (30 TDs on sophomore team) and Terry Pace, who both impressed in the spring. They’ll run behind a beefy offensive line that includes 6-4, 290-pound junior tackle Brendon Weatherspoon. “We’ve got some big kids, and we’ve got some really athletic kids,” Glaze points out. “That’s a good place to start.” The biggest challenge may come on defense, where the Blue Raiders must find a way to avoid giving up the 35-plus points per game they did in 2014. Glaze, who says injuries really hurt the team last season, is hoping returning veterans like DT Blake Jenkins and LB Fernando Lazo can lead the way in turning the tide. If all else fails, senior all-state punter Tyler Dunlop can keep the opposition pinned back with his 41.3-yard average.

Quotable: “He’s changed the whole mentality, the culture and atmosphere of L.D. Bell football. And it’s not just with the team, but the whole school. After last year, people were making fun of us, saying we probably would win just one game again this year. Now, they’re talking about how many.” — DT Blake Jenkins
    “To come into a program that hadn’t had that expectation level, your focus and direction is to do things the way that championship programs do them; lay that foundation and build on that. I’ve been preaching from Day One that if you’re looking for the same standards in your program, you’re looking for the same results. The kids have been very enthusiastic about the change.” — Coach Mike Glaze
    “I’m excited to see how the new offense goes. I think a lot of our opponents might not be prepared for it. It’s fast and we go hard every play. It’s built on confusing the defense. I can’t wait to try it out.” — QB Dominique Lawson

Notable: Despite a one-win season in 2014, L.D. Bell had been a playoff team each of the two previous years, losing in the opening round in 2012 and 2013, both times to Cedar Hill, Glaze’s former team.

Leave a comment:

• DPaul
    replied

Thanks.
    You're welcome

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by SLC13
    The only issue I have with the Carroll analysis is saying the Dragons "must prove themselves in the kicking game". Stepp needs to watch a few more Carroll games to appreciate how good a kicker Jake Oldroyd was last year. Perfect on PAT's and high percentage of FG made is pretty darn good and his punting average was very respectable as well. His only weakness was his inability to have a touchback on every KO.

Drew Brown had the same weakness as Jr. but he worked hard to improve his leg strength and by his Sr. year was booming most every KO for a touchback. He of course end up with a D1 scholly to Nebraska. I would be very surprised if Oldroyd hasn't followed the same script and improved his leg strength as well.
    Yeah, that's pretty laughable. Carroll is like a training ground for D1 college kickers.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    The only issue I have with the Carroll analysis is saying the Dragons "must prove themselves in the kicking game". Stepp needs to watch a few more Carroll games to appreciate how good a kicker Jake Oldroyd was last year. Perfect on PAT's and high percentage of FG made is pretty darn good and his punting average was very respectable as well. His only weakness was his inability to have a touchback on every KO.

Drew Brown had the same weakness as Jr. but he worked hard to improve his leg strength and by his Sr. year was booming most every KO for a touchback. He of course end up with a D1 scholly to Nebraska. I would be very surprised if Oldroyd hasn't followed the same script and improved his leg strength as well.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    7-6A TEAM ANALYSIS and PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
    by Matt Stepp - TOC

EULESS TRINITY TROJANS
    ENROLLMENT: 3,246 (2)
    2014 RECORD: 12-2 6A Div. I State Quarter-Finalist
    THE COACH: Chris Jensen
    THE PLAYERS: Tyler Natee (Sr., QB/RB), Malini Tuipulotu (Jr., QB), Caleb Cumbie (Sr., TE), Latu Kata (Sr., OL), Chris Daniels (Sr., DL), Justus Gregg (Sr., LB), DeJaun Garrett (Sr., RB), Ja’Ron Wilson (Sr., RB), Elijah Tasini (Sr., LB), Ben Kautai (Sr., DL), Leland Brown (Sr., DL)
    THE WORD: Offensive coordinator Chris Jensen takes over after the retirement of Steve Lineweaver, who won three state titles at Trinity. Plenty return from the 2014 season, which ended with a heart-breaking, last-second field goal by eventual champ Allen. Natee (57-100, 935 passing, 183-1,400 rushing), was a run-first QB out of the spread last season. Also returning is leading rusher Ja’Ron Wilson (261-1,791, 2 TDs), giving the Trojans a second season of the dynamic rushing duo. The offense also is expecting the return of De’Jaun Garrett, who missed much of last season with a broken leg. Helping block for them will be all-district picks Cumbie (6-1, 230) and center Kata, but Trinity must replace four offensive linemen. Wilson is also a threat catching the ball, as he was the second-best receiver (12-227, 3 TDs) last season. Jensen and his staff will get an early evaluation of his team, as Trinity will face perennial national power De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) in the season opener at Mansfield’s Vernon Newsom Stadium.

SOUTHLAKE CARROLL DRAGONS
    ENROLLMENT: 2,601 (5)
    2014 RECORD: 13-1 6A Div. II State Quarter-Finalist
    THE COACH: Hal Wasson
    THE PLAYERS: Obi Eboh (Sr., DB), Lil'Jordan Humphrey (Sr., RB), Jake Oldroyd (Sr., K/P), Zach Farrar (Sr., WR), Lucas Tribble (Sr., OL), Montana Murphy (Sr., QB), Jake Copeland (Jr., LB), Robert Barnes (Jr., DB), Barrett Buck, Jr., DB)
    THE WORD: The Dragons must replace nine starters on defense, but the offense seems primed for a return to the 6A playoffs and another deep run. Humphrey (6-5, 200) ran for 1,828 yards and 29 TDs last season and should put up big numbers again, his height at 6’5 is unusual for a running back and it’s possible he moves to receiver if SLC can find a suitable replacement at running back. Tribble (25 pancakes, 40 knockdowns) leads the offensive line, which will also be protecting Murphy (249 yards, 5 TDs passing). Farrar (29-554, 3 TDs) is the top returning pass catcher. Farrar should also be a weapon in the return game. Jake Oldroyd averaged 37.4 yards per punt, and did not miss on 54 PAT attempts and 8 field goals in 2014. Eboh (21 Division I offers), Copeland (63 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT) and Barnes, who started two games at outside linebacker last season, are the top veterans on defense. Wasson says the running game should be the team’s strength, but Carroll must prove itself in its depth, speed, and kicking game.

COPPELL COWBOYS
    ENROLLMENT: 3,532 (1)
    2014 RECORD: 6-5 6A Div. I Bi-District Playoffs
    THE COACH: Mike DeWitt
    THE PLAYERS: Josh Fink (Sr., WR), Obi Obialo (Sr., WR), Brandon Rice (Sr., RB), Myles Paschall (Sr., QB), Dylan Galloway (Sr., OL), Drew Smith (Sr., TE), Tyler Bell(Sr., LB), Daniel Storie (Sr., LB), A.J. Johnson (Sr., DL), Tyler Smith (Sr., K), Tim Heard (Jr., RB).
    THE WORD: The Cowboys return a wealth of offensive and defensive skill position players but must revamp both lines to continue their success in 2015. However, Coppell must also replace nine starters on defense. Obialo caught 40 passes for a 15-yard average last season, while Fink caught 8 TDs and averaged more than 23 yards per catch. Rice ran for 5 TDs and a 4.5 average on the ground in a backup role last season. So expect the Cowboys offense to be plenty potent. The offensive line took some heavy losses to graduation, but Coach DeWitt feels like he’s got capable replacements in the fold. Coppell’s defense struggled at times last year, most notably against teams that had a lot of speed and that could be an issue again in 2015. Bell (64 tackles) and Storie (34 tackles) highlight a promising linebacker corps. Johnson (28 tackles, 2 TFL) is one cornerstone DeWitt is counting on to bolster the defense. The Cowboys should find out early what they’re made of, as their non-district schedule includes Cedar Hill, McKinney Boyd, Hebron, and Broken Arrow, Okla.

COLLEYVILLE HERITAGE PANTHERS
    ENROLLMENT: 2,254.4 (6)
    2014 RECORD: 5-6, 6A Div. II Bi-District Playoffs
    THE COACH: Joe Willis
    THE PLAYERS: Trey Poirier (Sr., OL), Nick Walters (Sr., OL), Jamarie Williams (Sr., RB), Cole Carter (Jr., WR), Nike Torres (Sr., WR), Reid Harrison-Ducros (Sr., DB), Ke’Andre Johnson (Sr., DL), Trevor Klecker (Sr., LB), Logan Debelle (Sr., DL), Max Allan (Sr., K)
    THE WORD: Colleyville Heritage is needing some stability as they’ll be on their third head coach in as many seasons after the departure of HC Darren Allman, to Southlake Carroll to take the AD job. They are hopeful that stability arrives with the blockbuster hire of former Cedar Park HC Joe Willis in late May. Despite losing all-district RB DeMarco Corbin to graduation, the Panthers have plenty returning on both sides of the ball in 2015. Poirier and Walters were both all-7-6A picks, while Carter and Torres (16-155, 1 TD) are top threats at wide receiver. Williams ran for 437 yards and 4 TDs last season and will be the key guy to replace the production of Corbin. The biggest question mark for the Panthers will be finding a guy to step in at the QB slot. Harrison-Ducros made 50 tackles and 5 passes defended as a junior. Johnson and Kleckner combined for 79 stops and nine tackles for loss. Allan is one of the top kickers in the DFW area, and his 4.98 GPA makes his an appealing Division I candidate. Colleyville Heritage is one of the smallest schools in the area at the 6A level, they are a good candidate to possibly drop down to 5A next realignment.

HURST BELL BLUE RAIDERS
    ENROLLMENT: 2,859 (3)
    2014 RECORD: 1-9
    THE COACH: Mike Glaze
    THE PLAYERS: Tyler Dunlop (Sr., P), Brendon Weatherspoon (Jr., OL), Tacorian Howard (Sr., WR), Blake Jenkins (Sr., DL), Brandon Sitole (Jr., OL), Antonio Finau (Sr., LB), Dominique Lawson (Sr., QB), Tevita Ahio (Jr., OL)
    THE WORD: With seven returning starters on offense, look for the Raiders to be more explosive on offense, especially with a new regime in place after the departure of Mark Smith to join the SMU staff. Bell scored 14 points or fewer in seven games in 2014, but the return of dual-threat QB Lawson and road-graders Weatherspoon (6-5, 295), Sitole (6-1, 275), and Ahio (6-1, 290) should make the offense move more efficiently in one of the state’s toughest districts. Dunlop, all-state as a junior, should also be a weapon in the punting game to try and tilt field position. Howard (6-2, 175) was the team’s leading receiver (27-262, 2 TDs), but Bell must settle on a lead running back to take advantage of that big and physical group up front. Glaze, the former offensive coordinator at Cedar Hill, has a lot of young players with varsity experience, but says many other underclassmen will need to contribute.

RICHLAND REBELS
    ENROLLMENT: 2,174 (7)
    2014 RECORD: 4-6
    THE COACH: Ged Kates
    THE PLAYERS: Ledarryle Bryant (Sr., DB), Colton Curtis (Sr., QB), P.J. Hill (Sr., DB), Colton Burgess (Sr., DL), Avieon Shanklin (Sr., RB), Kyle Itoka (Jr., DB), Aaron Denson (Sr., WR), Donovan Franklin (Sr., DB), Peter Cornell (Jr., LB), Will Allen (Sr., LB), Jordan Wiley (Sr., LB)
    THE WORD: Richland lost much of its offensive skill position players to graduation, but returns an impressive crop of returnees on defense. Hill, Burgess, and Bryant were all all-district picks in 2014. Last season, Wiley averaged eight tackles per game and registered four sacks and is part of a veteran linebacker group. Itoka had two interceptions and caused a fumble, while Bryant led the team with 7 pass break-ups. Kates will likely have to use some of his best players on both sides of the ball. The Rebels would like to get off to a better start in 2015, after going 1-3 in non-district games last season—including a pair of close losses to Arlington Lamar and Irving MacArtur. Richland’s final four games are against playoff perennials Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Euless Trinity, and Colleyville Heritage.

HALTOM BUFFALOS

ENROLLMENT: 2,666 (4)
    2014 RECORD: 0-10
    THE COACH: Jason Tucker
    THE PLAYERS: Tyree Smith (Sr., DL), Gavin Ricks (Jr., LB), Deonta Cooksey (Sr., DB), Jacob Martinez (Jr., ATH), Matt Espinosa (Sr., TE), Zach Smith (So., LB), Austin Cooksey (Jr., DB), Imiee Cooksey (So., QB/RB), Taylor Lunkwitz (Jr., TE/LB)
    THE WORD: The chances of snapping a 16-game losing skid could rest on the shoulders of several siblings for the Buffalos. While the offensive line will be brand new, Espinosa and Lunkwitz will allow Haltom to line up in a two-TE set when needed. Tucker says his defensive line should be solid and two returning starters in the secondary provide some security. Younger brother Zach is expected to join Tyree Smith on defense, as well as Austin teaming with older brother Deonta Cooksey in the secondary. Youngest of the trio, Imiee Cooksey, will compete for time in the offensive backfield. Tucker says his team needs to improve at linebacker, but the Broncos look forward to “competing in arguably the best district in all of high school football.”

Last edited by SLC13; 07-21-2015, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by DPaul

Schools without spring training can start Aug. 3rd for conditioning only and first contact practice on Aug. 7th.

Schools with spring training have to wait til Aug. 10 for conditioning only and first contact practice on Aug. 14th.

As Per UIL website
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by BevoBo
    When does fall camp start? If anyone knows.
    Good question.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by TrinityTrojan299
    DL will be impressive. Size, speed, and depth. They have the potential to be dominate, especially if Daniels can stay healthy.

OL will be good, but it will take them a while to gel and get all the blocking schemes down. Look for them to struggle early then find their way after a few games.

RB pool is very talented and very deep. Zero concern there.

Secondary is a point of concern, just because they are new. We lost a lot to graduation. I think we will be fine here, but again may take a few games to get up to speed.

TE, WR, QB. Who knows? We have talent and potential here, but this whole open up the offense a bit more is new to us. I think Trinity would be a nightmare to defend if we prove to have an effective short passing game. I hope it comes together, because if it does this team could be playing late into December. Just depends on getting the secondary and OL up to the level they need to be.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• BevoBo
    replied
    I can't remember where I heard this, but the Dragons hired a new assistant coach. Bell fans will remember this name. Eric Vance.

Yep, he was a very good DB for Bell and I believe played in the NFL. I thought he had a brother that played RB around same time he was there at Bell, not sure.
    Last edited by BevoBo; 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    I can't remember where I heard this, but the Dragons hired a new assistant coach. Bell fans will remember this name. Eric Vance.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Football
    RSS
    dfwVarsity > Sports > Football

Posted Monday, Jun. 15, 2015 Share

Coaching transition has been easy for Euless Trinity star running backA

By Brian Gosset

bgosset@star-telegram.com

Despite a new head football coach at Trinity, nothing has really changed for the offense and senior-to-be running back Ja’Ron Wilson.

Wilson, who started for last year's squad, which reached the fourth round of the playoffs, says that with any new coach players have to learn what to expect, but since first-year head coach Chris Jensen has taken over the job in Euless, everything seems familiar.

“We've just been training in the weight room and getting stronger and faster.”

Wilson, who was named to the first team offense in all-district voting, will be in his final season with the Trojans in a sport he’s been playing since he was seven years old.

However, Wilson hasn't always been a running back, let alone the starter for one of Texas’ most storied teams. He actually started off on the defensive side at linebacker. In his second year, he played quarterback.

It wasn't until his third year playing football when he finally decided to run the ball.

“I had my mind set at being a running back, so I put in the countless hours of training,” Wilson said. “I've stuck with football this long because I eat, sleep and breathe football.”

Jensen said the work and dedication have paid off. “Ja'Ron was one of the players that had an outstanding spring for us and we expect great things from him next season,” he said.

Wilson is confident that even with Jensen taking over for Lineweaver, the Trojans should remain the favorites to win the District 7-6A title and be a contender for a state championship game appearance.

“The most important thing is being a part of something special with my brothers on the football field,” he said.

Wilson was the definition of workhorse last year. In the Trojans’ first four games, Wilson ran the ball to a tune of 74 times and 447 yards – a 112 yards-per-game average – and scored five touchdowns. The Trojans would finish the season with nearly 5,000 yards on the ground.

The Trojans' football, track and basketball star stays busy year-round and looks up to Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.
    He has some colleges looking at him to play the next level, but won't name any in particular as his favorite.

“I am just grateful for any school that gives me the opportunity to be a part of its team,” Wilson said.

Some schools that have shown interest are SMU, Arkansas State, Illinois, Kansas, Fresno State, Texas State and Nevada. He plans to major in business. Wilson said he is also the joker on the field and loves to make his teammates laugh.

Last edited by Super B; 06-23-2015, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by chhspantherfan

Here's where I think we all agree, if he gets everyone to come out and he can build a "Bell against the world" mentality and sustain it. THEN he wins immediately.
    That seems to be the direction he is pushing. @Mike_Glaze is all about #BleedBlue.
    Last edited by Super B; 06-23-2015, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chhspantherfan
    replied
    I think Bell may have made the right hire finally. I suppose we'll see, but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and hearing elsewhere Blaze seems to be building a lot of excitement. Probably gonna take a few years, but who knows?
    Here's where I think we all agree, if he gets everyone to come out and he can build a "Bell against the world" mentality and sustain it. THEN he wins immediately.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    started a topic 2015 7-6A Discussion thread

2015 7-6A Discussion thread

Originally posted by chhspantherfan
    Trinity
    Southlake
    Coppell
    Heritage
    Bell
    Richland
    Haltom

What will Bell do? Isn't that always the question?
    I think Bell may have made the right hire finally. I suppose we'll see, but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and hearing elsewhere Glaze seems to be building a lot of excitement. Probably gonna take a few years, but who knows?
    Last edited by Super B; 06-23-2015, 10:06 PM.
Working...