2015 7-6A Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chhspantherfan
    replied
    Hoping my Panthers can move up a slot this week, but those Mustangs.......

Leave a comment:

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
    replied
    Originally posted by Super B
    Yes. I drive that stretch three or four times a week.
    I feel for you. I drive it 3-4 times a year and I think I've had at least 5 or 6 tickets in that area in the last 10 years. Some of the towns make you just drive painfully slow and have cops hiding out on every corner/bend/overpass.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up
    If any Dragon fans are reading this and driving up, DO NOT speed on the strip between Tushka and Savanna. Nearly every little town and the entire stretch of highway between the two is a speed trap. I've unfortunately donated a lot of money to their police departments/highway patrol.
    Yes. I drive that stretch three or four times a week. That is absolutely true. Especially when you are in the main portion of town. The speed decreases down to 35. DO NOT EXCEED the posted limit!

Leave a comment:

• OakTreeOut-n-Up
    replied
    If any Dragon fans are reading this and driving up, DO NOT speed on the strip between Tushka and Savanna. Nearly every little town and the entire stretch of highway between the two is a speed trap. I've unfortunately donated a lot of money to their police departments/highway patrol.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    No. It's absolutely not a foregone conclusion. I am mainly going on how close the game was last season and that it is in their home stadium. 10,000 capacity, but I expect an overflow crowd. I also expect it to be a really big deal to them. They know SLC is a storied program from big bad Texas. Should be tons of media coverage as well. It will be one of the few OOS teams that can match the atmosphere we have in Texas. They also are the 2nd largest HS in OK. Nearly 5K student body, so they should have plenty of depth. Tyler Adkins returns as their RB. Last season he had 189 yards and four TD's at AT&T. They will reload elsewhere. All that in addition to the 270 mile trip. Once you get out of TX, you get to experience the poor roads in OK. Unless you go I-35 through OKC (the long way), most of the trip will be on US Highways (stoplights and speed zones), not Interstate (freeways).

You going?
    There's no doubt that the home field and revenge factor are big items in Union's favor. I also have no doubt that they will reload, but don't discount the Dragon's advantage of having already played a game. In last year's game, an experienced Union team still made many 1st game mistakes. Adkins is a great RB but he still needs help. Last year he got it from a 3 year starter at QB who threw for about 250 yds. Will he qet the same this year from a QB starting his 1st game?? Who knows, but I do like the Dragon's chances if Adkins turns out to be a one man show.

Unfortunately, we have a family commitment so we won't be going. I will be forced to listen to radio broadcast.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by SLC13

Wow, that's almost exactly as I see it too, Super B........should I be worried??

Switching into my green eyeshades, I wouldn't be too surprised if the Dragons depart Tulsa at 1-1. I did a little reading on Union and find out they graduated 18 starters from last season so while we are young they will be younger. Couple that with the fact that this is Union's 1st game, should give the Dragons some advantages to help overcome the obvious home field advantage.

Now we may still get "OKie'd", but I don't think that a Dragon loss should be the foregone conclusion for this game.
    No. It's absolutely not a foregone conclusion. I am mainly going on how close the game was last season and that it is in their home stadium. 10,000 capacity, but I expect an overflow crowd. I also expect it to be a really big deal to them. They know SLC is a storied program from big bad Texas. Should be tons of media coverage as well. It will be one of the few OOS teams that can match the atmosphere we have in Texas. They also are the 2nd largest HS in OK. Nearly 5K student body, so they should have plenty of depth. Tyler Adkins returns as their RB. Last season he had 189 yards and four TD's at AT&T. They will reload elsewhere. All that in addition to the 270 mile trip. Once you get out of TX, you get to experience the poor roads in OK. Unless you go I-35 through OKC (the long way), most of the trip will be on US Highways (stoplights and speed zones), not Interstate (freeways).

You going?

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied

Please! Heritage is better than Bell, Richland and Haltom at the very least. Until proven otherwise.

I would rank them more like this after the first games results.

1. Trinity 1-0 - Big win over very solid team. I think DLS and Trinity would be a serious contender in Texas.
    2. Carroll 0-1 - Yeah, they lost. Yes. They will lose again this week to start off the season 0-2. However, they are better than anyone not named Trinity in this district.
    3. Coppell 1-0 - I think Coppell takes another small step down this year, but I will wait until Heritage beats them to actually move them down. Hebron is not that good.
    4. Heritage 0-1 - Abilene is a good team. They have a new HC but they didn't switch staffs and systems. With not much time to get things going, an opening L against a quality opponent is not surprising.
    5. Bell 0-1 - Now suddenly Bell can really run the ball. They need to fix the passing game and work to improve their defense, but losing 34-31 is an improvement over last season's 48-35 loss. Bell is gonna give the weaker teams headaches with their run game.
    6. Richland 0-1 - What did I take out of the almost upset win over Lamar? Answer: It wouldn't have been that big an upset. Lamar is Ohh-ver-rated! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)
    7. Haltom 1-0 - Grand Prairie sucks. THIS YEAR, maybe Haltom sucks slightly less.

i am going to have to see more game results before jumping up Bell and for now Heritage. I still have a pretty good feeling about Heritage though.
    Wow, that's almost exactly as I see it too, Super B........should I be worried??

Switching into my green eyeshades, I wouldn't be too surprised if the Dragons depart Tulsa at 1-1. I did a little reading on Union and find out they graduated 18 starters from last season so while we are young they will be younger. Couple that with the fact that this is Union's 1st game, should give the Dragons some advantages to help overcome the obvious home field advantage.

Now we may still get "OKie'd", but I don't think that a Dragon loss should be the foregone conclusion for this game.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Originally posted by Trojanbacker2

Throwing the sandbagging flag on this.
    My thought exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Trojanbacker2
    replied
    This week's games:

Colleyville Heritage (0-1) @ Grapevine (1-0)

Bell (0-1) @ Rockwall Heath (1-0)

Richland(0-1) @ Lewisville (0-1)

Haltom (1-0) @ Terrell (1-0)

SLC (0-1) @ Tulsa Union (0-0)

McKinney Boyd (1-0) @ Coppell (1-0)

Rockwall (0-1) @ Trinity (1-0)

Leave a comment:

• Trojanbacker2
    replied
    Originally posted by chhspantherfan
    This weeks rankings

Trinity
    Coppell
    Southlake
    Haltom
    Richland
    Bell
    Heritage
    Throwing the sandbagging flag on this.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    This weeks rankings

Trinity
    Coppell
    Southlake
    Haltom
    Richland
    Bell
    Heritage
    Please! Heritage is better than Bell, Richland and Haltom at the very least. Until proven otherwise.

I would rank them more like this after the first games results.

1. Trinity 1-0 - Big win over very solid team. I think DLS and Trinity would be a serious contender in Texas.
    2. Carroll 0-1 - Yeah, they lost. Yes. They will lose again this week to start off the season 0-2. However, they are better than anyone not named Trinity in this district.
    3. Coppell 1-0 - I think Coppell takes another small step down this year, but I will wait until Heritage beats them to actually move them down. Hebron is not that good.
    4. Heritage 0-1 - Abilene is a good team. They have a new HC but they didn't switch staffs and systems. With not much time to get things going, an opening L against a quality opponent is not surprising.
    5. Bell 0-1 - Now suddenly Bell can really run the ball. They need to fix the passing game and work to improve their defense, but losing 34-31 is an improvement over last season's 48-35 loss. Bell is gonna give the weaker teams headaches with their run game.
    6. Richland 0-1 - What did I take out of the almost upset win over Lamar? Answer: It wouldn't have been that big an upset. Lamar is Ohh-ver-rated! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)
    7. Haltom 1-0 - Grand Prairie sucks. THIS YEAR, maybe Haltom sucks slightly less.

i am going to have to see more game results before jumping up Bell and for now Heritage. I still have a pretty good feeling about Heritage though.

Leave a comment:

• MGoBlue
    replied
    This weeks rankings

Trinity
    Coppell
    Southlake
    Haltom
    Richland
    Bell
    Heritage

I'll still put SLC above Coppell. Overall, I think SLC has more talent even though it won't show after they start the season 0-2.

Leave a comment:

• chhspantherfan
    replied
    This weeks rankings

Trinity
    Coppell
    Southlake
    Haltom
    Richland
    Bell
    Heritage

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Countdown to kickoff: Southlake Carroll’s inexperience is new challenge

By Travis L. Brown, Special to the Star-Telegram

Southlake Carroll
    District 7-6A
    Last season: 13-1 (7-0 in District 7-6A)

Key players DB Obi Eboh (6-1, 172), RB Lil’Jordan Humphrey (6-4, 195), QB Montana Murphy (6-3, 195), WR Zach Farrar (6-4, 208), DB Robert Barnes (6-2, 190), QB Mason Holmes (6-1, 180), K/P Jake Oldroyd (6-0, 175), OL Lucas Tribble (6-5, 265)

The big picture: Southlake Carroll has been one of the most consistent teams in Texas for years. This season could challenge that consistency with the amount of players Carroll lost to graduation from last season. Coach Hal Wasson returns just one starter on defense, defensive back Obi Eboh, after linebacker and returning tackles leader Jake Copeland moved away before the season. Wasson must also replace graduated quarterback Ryan Agnew.

The race for the starting quarterback position is running strong between senior Montana Murphy and junior Mason Holmes, and Wasson said until one separates himself with the “it” factor, they could go with a dual quarterback system the entire season. Carroll returns one of the best running backs in North Texas in senior Lil’Jordan Humphrey, who ran for 1,830 yards and 29 touchdowns last season. Look for Humphrey to also be utilized more at receiver as Carroll will do whatever it can to get the ball in its best playmaker’s hands. On defense, it’s all up to Eboh to lead a squad full of first-year starters. While that looks bleak on paper, Eboh said a majority of those moving up saw varsity action at some point last season. Special teams might be Carroll’s most experienced phase, returning kicker/punter Jake Oldroyd who went 8 for 8 on field goals last season.

Quotable: “I know for me and our coaches, we’re really excited about this because this is going to be a huge challenge with a new quarterback, 10 new starters on defense, four new players on offense, an undersized team, a team that’s in a very tough league and will play an unbelievable preseason. Am I looking forward to it? You’re doggone right I am.” — Coach Hal Wasson

“Carroll can’t really fly under the radar. You look at some of the reports and what people are saying about us — it’s true that we’re pretty young and not a lot of guys are returning and there are a lot of question marks about our team, but as a competitor, you kind of like having that target on your back, and you kind of like having that chip on your shoulder.” — DB Obi Eboh

Notable: The last seven starting quarterbacks at Carroll accepted Division I scholarships out of high school — Ryan Agnew (San Diego State), Kenny Hill (Texas A&M), David Piland (Houston), Kyle Padron (SMU), Riley Dodge (UNT), Greg McElroy (Alabama) and Chase Daniel (Missouri). Daxx Garman, who transferred to Carroll for his senior year but was ruled ineligible, signed with Arizona after graduating from Carroll. Both McElroy and Daniel went on to play in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Countdown to Kickoff

Euless Trinity
    District 7-6A
    Last season: 12-2 (5-1 District 7-6A; state quarterfinals)

Key players: QB Tyler Natee (6-0, 220), RB Ja’Ron Wilson (5-10, 185), RB De’Jaun Garrett (5-8, 180), TE Caleb Cumbie (6-1, 230), OL Latu Kata (5-8, 260), DE Chris Daniels (6-4, 290), DL Ben Kautai (6-2, 285), DL Leland Brown (6-1, 245), LB Elijah Tasini (6-1, 205), LB Justus Gregg (5-9, 185).

The big picture: The Chris Jensen era is off and running as the Trojans get set to take on national powerhouse Concord (Calif.) De La Salle on Saturday night at Newsom Stadium on ESPN2. Jensen takes over as coach after the retirement of Steve Lineweaver, who won three state titles at Trinity (2005, 2007, 2009), was runner-up in 2010 and won almost 86 percent of his games (175-29). Jensen was a longtime offensive coordinator for Lineweaver, even when the pair was at Commerce, where Jensen spent seven of 10 seasons with the legendary coach.

But nothing has changed as Trinity’s game plan and goals remain the same. The Trojans came up one game shy of a district title, losing 10-6 to Southlake Carroll in October — in one of the toughest districts in the state. Predicted to last two rounds, Trinity made it to the state quarterfinals, where a late field goal pushed eventual state champ Allen past the Trojans.

Senior Tyler Natee is in his second season under center after producing 2,335 yards (1,400 rushing) and fellow senior Ja’Ron Wilson is another weapon out of the backfield with his 1,791 yards — both earning a spot on first team all-district. “Tyler has come along even though he has only played one year under center. He’s shown a lot of improvement — learning the knowledge of the game,” Jensen said. Wilson is also a threat in the pass game and Caleb Cumbie will add size and blocking experience for the Trojans. The offense will also get a boost with De’Jaun Garrett, who missed time last season due to injury. On the defensive front, Chris Daniels (first team), who’s getting interest from more than 20 colleges, will headline this unit alongside Ben Kautai and Leland Brown. Linebackers will also be a strong suit with Elijah Tasini and Justus Gregg (second team).

Quotable “We want to improve strength, speed, timing, accuracy, our physical goals, but the main things we talked about is developing team unity. If we can get that done, and we will, we’ll unify as a team.” — Coach Chris Jensen

“Coach Jensen is a great coach and I believe and trust in him a lot. He has a great mind and you can expect a lot of new things this year.” — RB De’Jaun Garrett

“We’re all working our tails off toward a common goal. We’re focused on De La Salle.”
    — TE Caleb Cumbie
    “Chris Daniels is a great player, great speed and has good work ethic. He will be the anchor of our defense and expectations are high with him.” — Linebackers coach John Thompson

“We never set win goals or title goals, never talked about winning state or championships, we just want to give our best effort, let the chips fall where they may.” — Jensen

Notable: Trinity is 6-2 against out-of-state opponents since 2008, including a 41-32 victory over Elkton (Md.) Eastern Christian Academy in last season’s opener.

— Brian Gosset

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Nice honor for three 7-6A players named to the DMN pre-season first team!! Congrats and best wishes for great seasons to Trinity's DL Chris Daniels, SLC's DB Obi Eboh and Kicker Jake Oldroyd.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/hig...tball-team.ece

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Countdown to kickoff: Stout defense has Richland talking playoffs

Richland
    District 7-6A
    Last season: 3-7 (2-4 in District 7-6A)

Key players: QB Jordan Wiley (6-1, 200), RB Avieon Shanklin (5-6, 160), DT Cole Burgess (6-2, 234), DT Cason Clark (6-1, 248), OL Scout Lyons (6-1, 249), DE Will Allen (6-2, 205), WR Aaron Denson (6-0, 180), OL Rafael Ramirez ( 6-3, 270)

The big picture: In the three seasons under coach Ged Kates, Richland has not been timid in scheduling stiff competition before the district slate. The Rebels will again take on Arlington Lamar, Lewisville, Irving MacArthur and Grand Prairie before they tangle with District 7-6A foes including Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity and Colleyville Heritage. “We’ve scheduled a tough slate in order to be ready to play,” Kates said. This season should yield better results than last year’s disappointing 3-7.

The offense is senior-laden and includes a formidable offensive line anchored by center Scout Lyons and tackle Rafael Ramirez. New at quarterback is Jordan Wiley, a starter on defense the past two years. Kates said Wiley is dual-threat QB with a prime target in receiver Aaron Denson. Behind the experience of returning offensive linemen, the ground game will be centered on sophomore running back Avieon Shanklin. Riley Johnson will spell Shanklin.

Richland might be more excited about the potential of the defense, especially up front. Defensive tackles Cole Burgess and Cason Clark will “wreak some serious havoc,” according to Kates. To make it even tougher for offenses, the tackles will be supported by defensive end Will Allen. The secondary will see some returning starters, also. The ability of the Rebels’ experienced players will have to bridge the gap for the younger players. “We have a lot of young talent but the skilled positions can sustain us while the young players figure it out,” Kates said.

Quotable
    “Our district is unprecedented but we’ll be ready to play because of who we play early. We’re at a point in our program where we can beat anybody and it’s fun to be in the conversation with the heavy hitters now.” — Coach Ged Kates

“A playoff spot is coming for the Rebels. It’s not just me talking. We know what we can bring to the table and we’re bringing it in 2015. With the kids we have right now, we’re the strongest [in the weight room] team in the state of Texas. We have a chip on our shoulder and swagger.” — DT Cole Burgess

“We can adapt to the situation and make it work for what we have going on offense. We have the experience and the potential to get things done and to get things done as a unit, with a lot of seniors on offense. If we work together and stay focused, we can reach our goals.” — Center Scout Lyons

Notable: Projected starting quarterback Jordan Wiley was an all-district selection at linebacker his sophomore and junior seasons.

Leave a comment:

• chhspantherfan
    replied
    “Goals for the season? Be 1-0. You take it a game at a time and the goal is to win that game and every week win that game.” — Willis

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Countdown to kickoff: Colleyville Heritage welcomes new coach

By Gary T. Skrehart
    gskrehart@star-telegram.com

Colleyville Heritage
    District: 7-6A
    Last season: 5-6, 3-3 in District 7-6A

Key players: DB Reid Harrison-Ducros (5-11, 171), OL Trey Poirier (6-2, 260), OL Nick Walters, (6-3, 240), RB Jamarie Williams (6-1, 192), WR Cole Carter (6-0, 190), DL Ke’Andre Johnson (5-9, 275), K Max Allen (5-9, 160).

The big picture: Colleyville Heritage made the playoffs last year and appear to have an opportunity to improve on a 5-6 record. Most of the increased expectations are based on the addition of new head coach Joe Willis. His first practices at Heritage showed that Willis brings an increased intensity. Willis previously coached at Cedar Park, where an impressive 37-8 record included the team to a Class 4A Division I championship in 2012. He also guided Cedar Park to the Class 5A Division II championship game last season and came close to toppling powerhouse Ennis before falling 38-35.

The Panthers, with five returning starters on offense and two on defense, always have a good number of athletes to build around. It starts with one of the better offensive lines in the area. It will be anchored by returning starters Trey Poirier and Nick Walters. Both received all-district honors last season and will provide senior leadership. A challenge will be replacing all-district running back DeMarco Corbin and his 1,011 rushing yards. Senior Jamarie Williams looks to be the answer. Williams had a better yards-per-carry average than Corbin and accounted for almost 500 yards rushing last year. The biggest question on offense will be the quarterback slot vacated by the graduation of Trevor Anderson.

There is potential for a big uptick if Grapevine Faith transfer Cam Roane (6-2, 196) is the real deal. He passed for more than 3,000 yards as a sophomore at Grapevine Faith. The other contender for playing time is Jacob Sheppard, who is moving up from the junior varsity. The defense may be a bigger challenge for Willis, with only two returning starters, but one of those is probably one of the most underrated and best defensive linemen in the area, Ke’Andre Johnson. District 7-6A is one of the better districts in the area but it is top-heavy with the two powerhouses, Southlake Carroll and Euless Trinity, and gives Colleyville Heritage a chance to repeat last year’s playoff appearance if they can win against the remainder of the district.

Quotable
    “Colleyville Heritage has a history of success and it is expected. That is how it should be, and the job here is make that winning attitude a part of everyone’s mindset.” — Coach Joe Willis
    “Goals for the season? Be 1-0. You take it a game at a time and the goal is to win that game and every week win that game.” — Willis
    “I think the coaching changes have actually helped the team. It forces you to come together to face that challenge. You can feel a difference this year and I think we have come together as a team” — DB Reid Harrison-Ducros

Notable: Joe Willis is the third coach to lead the Panthers in three seasons. Colleyville Heritage made to the playoffs last year, despite a decline in wins over the past three seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Trinity Dad
    replied

Don't forget to get your picks in for the 7-6A Prediction Contest. See that thread here.

​Reports out Colleywood are very positive. Heritage will be the surprise team of the district. They are going to push some teams who would have otherwise never expected it. I came very close to picking them to go 4-0 in non-district. Just playing the odds, I figure they lose to either Abilene or Bowie. I am thinking at this point Bowie. I may change my mind. I think they win vs. Coppell pulling away at the end. They lose a much closer than expected game vs. SLC.

SLC IMO loses to Westlake, Union and Trinity. That is a difficult task for a road team. All three of these games were very close last year, but the fact they are traveling 200&280 miles, playing Trinity AND I am skeptical about their QB situation, I think these are competitive losses.

​Coppell loses to Boyd, BA, CHill, SLC, Heritage & Trinity. This may be a swing and a miss, but this is how I see it.

Bell will be much more competitive this year. They are a year away from getting back to the playoffs. They are not quite ready to overtake Coppell.

Richland will pay for keeping their nickname. All hail the ultra sensitive political correctness libs!

Haltom still sucks.

Your predictions are just about how I would revise mine today, with the possible exception of one more pre-district win for SLC. I should have voted my gut and lifted Heritage over Coppell.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied

Don't forget to get your picks in for the 7-6A Prediction Contest. See that thread here.

Here are my predictions.

Trinity 4-0 6-0 10-0
    SLC 2-2 5-1 7-3
    Heritage 3-1 4-2 7-3
    Coppell 1-3 3-3 4-6
    Bell 2-2 2-4 4-6
    Richland 1-3 1-5 2-8
    Haltom 1-3 0-6 1-9
    ​Reports out Colleywood are very positive. Heritage will be the surprise team of the district. They are going to push some teams who would have otherwise never expected it. I came very close to picking them to go 4-0 in non-district. Just playing the odds, I figure they lose to either Abilene or Bowie. I am thinking at this point Bowie. I may change my mind. I think they win vs. Coppell pulling away at the end. They lose a much closer than expected game vs. SLC.

SLC IMO loses to Westlake, Union and Trinity. That is a difficult task for a road team. All three of these games were very close last year, but the fact they are traveling 200&280 miles, playing Trinity AND I am skeptical about their QB situation, I think these are competitive losses.

​Coppell loses to Boyd, BA, CHill, SLC, Heritage & Trinity. This may be a swing and a miss, but this is how I see it.

Bell will be much more competitive this year. They are a year away from getting back to the playoffs. They are not quite ready to overtake Coppell.

Richland will pay for keeping their nickname. All hail the ultra sensitive political correctness libs!

Haltom still sucks.
    Last edited by Super B; 08-22-2015, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    ^^^^ Here is what stood out to me the most after reading all that. VVVV

What!!! Midlothian is running the Wishbone???
    That what happens when you hire an Okie coach. He probably thinks losing by 30 rather than 60 to Desoto and CH will make him a hero in Midlo.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    ^^^^ Here is what stood out to me the most after reading all that. VVVV

What!!! Midlothian is running the Wishbone???

Leave a comment:

• Trinity Dad
    replied
    Okay, I posted these on the other board, should have gone here first:

From the Startlegram.com:

Newcomers meet
    Colleyville Heritage coach Joe Willis and Arlington Lamar coach Laban DeLay are both taking over high-profile programs.
    The coaches lauded their teams’ effort and energy in the scrimmage at Cravens Field. Both teams moved the ball well at times and both defenses playing well at times.
    Colleyville Heritage started the controlled scrimmage strong against the run, outside of a long touchdown run by Lamar’s Kendall Burt. The Panthers intercepted a pass early, but Lamar quarterback Shane Buechele was able to move the ball through the air consistently.
    The Vikings opened the live scrimmage driving 70 yards in 12 plays behind a balanced attack. Buechele capped the drive with a 6-yard TD pass to Draven Cantly.
    The Panthers answered as quarterback Cam Roane completed 3 of 4 passes, including a 16-yarder for a score.
    “There was a couple of kids that got banged up and I need to go check on them, but that’s probably my biggest concern,” DeLay said.
    “We got some great work and we got out healthy,” Willis said. “That was our goal today.”
    — Darren Lauber

Overtime rules

Euless Trinity and Denton Guyer had one final tuneup before opening the season against marquee matchups.
    After a number of drives with limited plays, both teams had good moments on offense and defense. Nearly 90 minutes passed before overtime rules came into effect, and Guyer coach John Walsh and Trinity quarterback Tyler Natee did rock-paper-scissors instead of a coin flip to see who’d be on offense first.
    Each team ran through it once, with Guyer scoring on a 41-yard field goal.
    A final eight minutes was put on the clock and each team scored on long touchdown runs, Guyer going 65 yards before Trinity went for 83 yards.
    Trinity, ranked No. 8 in the AP Preseason Class 6A poll, takes on national powerhouse Concord La Salle (Calif.) on Aug. 29 at Newsom Stadium on ESPN (8 p.m.). Guyer, No. 9, opens on the road Aug. 28 against three-time defending champ Allen (7:30 p.m.).
    The Trojans enter the Chris Jensen era and it seemed Trinity was sitting some star players for De La Salle, including running back Ja’Ron Wilson and highly recruited defensive end Chris Daniels.
    — Brian Gosset

Mixed signals
    It appears the quarterback duties are not settled for Southlake Carroll.
    Senior Montana Murphy and junior Mason Holmes got 50-50 reps in the scrimmage against Duncanville at Dragon Stadium.
    Murphy started the 11-on-11 portion going 4 of 8 for 65 yards and a touchdown pass to Kameron Duhon. Murphy finished the scrimmage 7 of 17 for 86 yards, and Holmes was 3-of-7 for 12 yards and an interception.
    “It’s still a situation that’s to be determined,” Carroll coach Hal Wasson said.
    Neither quarterback was live in any session, so there were no draw plays or running options that might have opened up the passing game.
    “In Montana’s defense, he missed all spring with an injury, but I think he does some really good things,” Wasson added. “I think with his reads and our speed-up process, we can get a bit better with that.
    “Mason brings a great attitude and some other things to the position where we can win with either guy.”
    Duhon’s TD catch was Carroll’s only score in the 11-man session (he had three catches for 52 yards). Duncanville scored three rushing touchdowns. Two of those runs were for 63 and 61 yards, but the Dragons’ defense stiffened in the final two timed periods to shut out the Panthers and force a couple of turnovers.
    “I thought in the scrimmage portion we showed our youth a little bit there,” Wasson said. “But once we got into the game portion we got into a little bit better attitude.”
    Running back Lil’Jordan Humphrey did not play, despite suiting out for the scrimmage. That left rushing duties to backup Shemar Coleman, who carried six times for 50 yards.
    — Kevin Casas

From the DMN:

Euless Trinity 31, Denton Guyer 19
    Running back Tyler Gomez' 112 yards and Alex Dam's 97 rushing yards led Euless Trinity to a 31-19 win over Denton Guyer at Pennington Field Friday night in both teams' preseason scrimmage.
    Trinity won a controlled part of the scrimmage in which both squads traded 12-play possessions.
    Guyer opened the scoring with No. 33 running 51 yards for a touchdown, but it was Trinity that reeled off three unanswered touchdowns from Gomez twice and Dam once.
    Guyer answered with a Austin Lee 20-yard touchdown pass to Manuel Rodarte.
    TCU commit and Guyer junior quarterback Shawn Robinson was held without a touchdown and threw an interception.
    The teams followed the possessions with a simulated overtime situation where both ended up missing field goals.
    Following overtime, the teams played an eight-minute quarter and after 5:11 of scoreless ball, Noah Cain went 60 yards for Guyer, but after Guyer recovered an onside kick, Trinity's defense held tough by forcing an interception by Lee.
    Trent Thomas then iced the game with a 83-yard touchdown run.
    Cain finished as Guyer's leading rusher with 87 yards and was trailed by No. 33 with 67 yards.
    Guyer will open its season at Allen next Friday, while Trinity faces De La Salle on an ESPN network Saturday from Newsom Stadium.

More from the DMN:

Coppell 21, Midlothian 13
    Coppell was able to hold off Midlothian 21-13 in preseason scrimmageFriday at home.
    Both teams started slow on offense, going three-and-out on their first series, but Coppell took the reigns in the scrimmage scoring on its next two series to go up 14-0.
    Coppell in the two, game-like scrimmage quarters was able to run the ball efficiently (16 carries for 113 yards and three rushing touchdowns) and completed 10-of-14 passes for 100 yards with Myles Paschall throwing 8-of-11 for 70.
    Midlothian stayed with a ground-and-pound attack the entire scrimmage, utilizing a wishbone offense first-year coach Doug Wendel brought with him from Oklahoma.
    Midlothian ran the ball for 18 times totaling 138 yards, led by Jerreth Stern (49 yards on four carries and a touchdown) and Jabrelan Esparza (three rushes, 40 yards and a score).
    Coppell opens its season Friday at Hebron, while Midlothian will start the 2015 slate at home against Waxahachie.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Originally posted by Trojanbacker2
    I have been able to observe a few practices both in the spring and this summer. Here are a few of my observations:
    • The impact of the new offensive coordinator is obvious.QB’s have been working hard on their footwork, reads and throwing motion.They are now capable of overthrowing their receivers by a much greater distance and with much better form.
    • Much of last year’s offensive line is gone and the new unit is a work in progress at this point.This year’s group appears to have good size but their holding technique needs a lot of work.The term “pass protection” has been introduced to them and they seem to have a passing understanding of the term.
    • With the new Head Coach also comes possible changes to the Haka.During the spring they were experimenting with more of a chorus line approach, heavy on high-kicks.The team was given the assignment of watching “So You Think You Can Dance” this summer with an eye on improving their technique.
    • There will be more passing this season.Receivers have been drilled on looking up in the air for a brown oblong thing being thrown and to try to catch it in their hands and run with it on the football field.After getting over the initial shock of having something thrown at them besides flags, they are making progress.
    • The running game appears to be in good hands, er, feet.There are currently 49 running backs listed on the roster including 12 move-ins, six recruited from the band because they had good speed, and a guy named Gerald who just happened to be delivering pizza to the coaches and was issued a uniform.He goes by the nickname “Deep Dish”.
    • In honor of recently retired HC Steve Lineweaver, the players will form a giant hat on the field before the first game while singing “It’s a Wonderful Life.”The fake punt has been renamed “the Lineweaver” in his honor.
    • The defensive line appears to be very good.This group has size, speed, depth and great hair. Redken has expressed an interest in being a team sponsor. A move-in from American Samoa will open a few eyes this fall although members of the team appear to already be tired of hearing him yell “you want Samoa of this?” after every tackle.
    • The team will unveil new uniforms for the first game.The uniforms will feature vertical stripes, which are much more slimming and flattering.

Brilliant. Yes. I do want Samoa of this. ^^^

Leave a comment:

• SLC13
    replied
    Countdown to kickoff: Haltom looks to erase last season’s woes

Last season: 0-10 (0-6 District 7-6A)

Key players: QB/RB Imiee Cooksey (5-11, 175), WR Jacob Martinez (5-6, 150), TE Matt Espinosa (6-1, 225), DL Tyree Smith (6-0, 269), LB Gavin Ricks (5-11, 210), LB Zach Smith (5-10, 195), DB Austin Cooksey (5-10, 165), DB Deonta Cooksey (5-10, 170).

The big picture: Haltom is led by three sets of siblings who could help snap the Buffalos’ 16-game losing streak and more. The youngest of the Cooksey trio is Imiee, who will play several skill positions. Older brothers Austin and Deonta are the two returning starters that will headline the secondary. Along the defensive line is first-team selection Tyree Smith, and younger brother Zach will join second-team selection Gavin Ricks at linebacker. Coach Jason Tucker will run a two-tight-end set with Matt Espinosa and Taylor Lunkwitz, who will also play linebacker. Tucker’s offensive line is new, but with two tight ends, it’ll allow for more blockers for Imiee and playmaker Jacob Martinez. The third set of siblings are Dalton (tackle) and Hunter Holdsclaw (defensive end). After a great summer, Tucker and the Buffalos think they can win some games and get out of the cellar of one of the best districts in the state.

Quotable
    “Our team has worked really hard this off-season and throughout the summer. We’re going to be young as a team. Our defensive line should be the strongest unit going into the season.” — Coach Jason Tucker
    “Our team has had a lot of success this summer, physically and mentally. This year will be different because we’ve developed some vocal leaders.” — LB Gavin Ricks
    “People should look out for Haltom because we’re a totally different team with a lot of weapons in our arsenal.” — Ricks
    “This summer was different from all the others — intensity, atmosphere was different. It felt like we actually wanted to win.” — OL Edgardo Magdaleno

Notable: The Buffalos will host Grand Prairie on Aug. 28 to begin the season. Grand Prairie won last season’s opener 31-14. Haltom’s last nonlosing season came in 2005 (5-5 record) and the team has two playoffappearances since 2000 (2000, 2009).

Leave a comment:

• Trojanbacker2
    replied
    I have been able to observe a few practices both in the spring and this summer. Here are a few of my observations:
    • The impact of the new offensive coordinator is obvious.QB’s have been working hard on their footwork, reads and throwing motion.They are now capable of overthrowing their receivers by a much greater distance and with much better form.
    • Much of last year’s offensive line is gone and the new unit is a work in progress at this point.This year’s group appears to have good size but their holding technique needs a lot of work.The term “pass protection” has been introduced to them and they seem to have a passing understanding of the term.
    • With the new Head Coach also comes possible changes to the Haka.During the spring they were experimenting with more of a chorus line approach, heavy on high-kicks.The team was given the assignment of watching “So You Think You Can Dance” this summer with an eye on improving their technique.
    • There will be more passing this season.Receivers have been drilled on looking up in the air for a brown oblong thing being thrown and to try to catch it in their hands and run with it on the football field.After getting over the initial shock of having something thrown at them besides flags, they are making progress.
    • The running game appears to be in good hands, er, feet.There are currently 49 running backs listed on the roster including 12 move-ins, six recruited from the band because they had good speed, and a guy named Gerald who just happened to be delivering pizza to the coaches and was issued a uniform.He goes by the nickname “Deep Dish”.
    • In honor of recently retired HC Steve Lineweaver, the players will form a giant hat on the field before the first game while singing “It’s a Wonderful Life.”The fake punt has been renamed “the Lineweaver” in his honor.
    • The defensive line appears to be very good.This group has size, speed, depth and great hair. Redken has expressed an interest in being a team sponsor. A move-in from American Samoa will open a few eyes this fall although members of the team appear to already be tired of hearing him yell “you want Samoa of this?” after every tackle.
    • The team will unveil new uniforms for the first game.The uniforms will feature vertical stripes, which are much more slimming and flattering.

Leave a comment:

• Super B
    replied
    Heading to the Penn for early intra-squad scrimmage. Yes, I am late.

Leave a comment:

• chhspantherfan
    replied
    Originally posted by CHill

They will most likely go on 4th down from their 35 yard line, the hard one doesn't believe in punting from the 35 and on.

that will make it interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing them come out cookin' against Keller Central, Rockwall Heath, and Abilene. Then open with Coppell. Could be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• CHill
    replied

But Bell has I-20 Speedway quality....... they went 41.44 last Spring and who knows who moved in, so they might be real good real soon.

They will most likely go on 4th down from their 35 yard line, the hard one doesn't believe in punting from the 35 and on.

Leave a comment:

Working...