Clear All
  • Loboe5977
    1st Team
    • Aug 2016

2016 Booker Kiowas.

Booker Kiowas----Shane Reagan.

Loyalty, patience pay off for Booker coach
    By KALE STEED

"First-year head football coach Shane Reagan of Booker is living proof of the old adage “it’s never too late to chase your dream.”

Reagan will walk the Booker sidelines for the 23rd season this fall, but this time it’s his turn to call the shots.

The 51-year old Silverton native has spent 25 years as the head boys basketball coach and an assistant coach on the football team. He finally earned his long-awaited opportunity last spring when he was named the head football coach, replacing Steve Taylor after one season.
    “When I first decided to be a coach, I wanted to be a head football coach,” said Reagan, who has been in coaching for 28 years. “Around 10 years ago I tried to get it, but the school went with someone else. I didn’t want to move my kids because they’ve grown up going to school in Booker and my wife is from the area.”

Reagan brings stability to the Kiowas’ program. Booker is an isolated community of about 1,500 in the northeast tip of the Texas Panhandle, about 140 miles from Amarillo. The nearest Walmart is 60 miles away in Liberal, Kan.

The geographic isolation makes it hard for young coaches to take a job in Booker, Reagan said, however he isn’t going anywhere.

“We have a lot of coaches that come and go,” Reagan said. “If they’re not from this part of the state, they leave because this isn’t the most attractive part of Texas. I’m here to stay and I decided even though it’s late in my career I’d like to give it a shot.”

Reagan has seen all three sons, Chase 29, Brandon 26, and Jared 20, graduate from Booker.

As the offensive coordinator from 2011 to 2014, he scripted a Booker offense that averaged more than 30 points per game. He watched his son Jared and his nephew and quarterback Hunter Lile post big numbers over their unprecedented four-year careers. The duo finished as the state’s all-time leaders in passing and receiving. Lile’s 14,408 yards and Jared’s 391 catches still stand as the top marks statewide.

“This is a great opportunity for him,” Jared said. “He’s always wanted to be a head football coach. He is a great coach and he has always been a coach that supports his athletes. He always helps his players out when they need it. I think he’ll do a great job.”

Son Brandon followed in his father’s footsteps. After graduating from West Texas A&M University in 2013, Brandon has spent the past four seasons as an assistant coach in Spearman.

“I know he had wanted that job for a long time,” Brandon said. “It’s exciting. He’s faithful to it and he’ll stick around. He’s deserving, he’s taught me a lot and I can’t wait to see what he does with the program.”

Reagan’s longtime friend and brother-in-law Brent Lile, Hunter’s father, said he couldn’t be prouder. Lile, who was named athletic director at Booker last spring, has coached alongside Reagan for the past 22 years.
    “It’s great to see him get that job,” Lile said. “He played football in college at Oklahoma Panhandle State. He’s coached a long time and waited his turn. He’s been patient and he finally got the opportunity he’s deserved and I think he’ll be successful.”

Working...