X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eagle82
    All District
    • Apr 2015

The 2016 UIL Realignment Thread

Never too early to start talking about this. October something is the official count day.

For those of you (us) who was thinking Abilene may drop to 5A, looks very doubtful as we have around 200 or so more than we had last year this time.
  • RocklandDragon
    Special Teams
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Eagle82
    Never too early to start talking about this. October something is the official count day.

For those of you (us) who was thinking Abilene may drop to 5A, looks very doubtful as we have around 200 or so more than we had last year this time.
    We'll have to see if Lubbock Monterey stays above the cutoff. As far as I know, Monterey has grown more than expected (decent sized classes from Evans, Atkins and even O.L. Slaton middle school are keeping Monterey growing). Another key is that Estacado has been losing students to the other LISD schools. A few have gone to Monterey.

Since Abilene n Monterey should stay up, they might keep the status quo for our area in 6A and 5A. Five and six team districts aren't ideal for the UIL but it really helps alleviate the travel costs for our ISDs in every sport. The round of realignment in 2018, when there could be DI and DII for 5A and 6A, is when it will be interesting. Will the UIL stick with their max 245 schools?

Somehow, I think Abilene Wylie stays in 4A DI.
    I still work for the "other" site. Don't ban me. :D

Comment

• Eagle82
      All District
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by RocklandDragon

We'll have to see if Lubbock Monterey stays above the cutoff. As far as I know, Monterey has grown more than expected (decent sized classes from Evans, Atkins and even O.L. Slaton middle school are keeping Monterey growing). Another key is that Estacado has been losing students to the other LISD schools. A few have gone to Monterey.

Since Abilene n Monterey should stay up, they might keep the status quo for our area in 6A and 5A. Five and six team districts aren't ideal for the UIL but it really helps alleviate the travel costs for our ISDs in every sport. The round of realignment in 2018, when there could be DI and DII for 5A and 6A, is when it will be interesting. Will the UIL stick with their max 245 schools?

Somehow, I think Abilene Wylie stays in 4A DI.
      That's the word on the street, for this round anyways. Members talking about move-in's, etc. Wylie seems to get them all and have gotten some pretty good ones the past couple of years. Cooper will more than likely stay 5A for quite sometime.

Comment

• Shady12
        2nd Team
        • Apr 2015

Well that's good news.

RL if 6A went to DI and DII about what do you think the enrollment cutoff between the two would be?

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
          Special Teams
          • May 2015

Whew....that's the best thing I've heard all week..!!

Comment

• Eagle82
            All District
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Warbird_Dad

Whew....that's the best thing I've heard all week..!!
            Well it's not written in stone.

Abilene High could do what Wylie does and allow all students with 5 letters in the last name to take a day off from school on count day!

Ok, no, they don't actually do that, or do they?

Comment

• SanAngeloBobcat
              Practice Squad
              • Jun 2015

That's encouraging news. I hope district 2 can hang on to their 5 teams too so none of us has to join the Amarillo schools and make those long drives in every sport.

Comment

• SanAngeloBobcat
                Practice Squad
                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Shady12

Well that's good news.

RL if 6A went to DI and DII about what do you think the enrollment cutoff between the two would be?
                The projections I've seen of a possible DI and DII split have used somewhere around 2800 as the cutoff, so most projections have had San Angelo in DI with the Midland and Odessa schools. The problem area out here is El Paso--they have only 7 total 6A teams, so if they split those between 2 divisions, some EP schools will have to join our district. No thank you 😩

Comment

• Eagle82
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Well don't listen to me. Below is an excerpt from a recent article in the Reporter News. The numbers are combined for both AH and Cooper yet the combined numbers show an increase of 41 students between the two schools, well off the 200 I boasted about.

-----------------------
                  While elementary numbers took a significant hit, student populations at all other measured levels showed slight increases compared with 2014-15. Middle school enrollment increased 72 students to 3,595 and high school was up from 4,312 to 4,353 this year.

Comment

• Eagle82
                    All District
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SanAngeloBobcat

The projections I've seen of a possible DI and DII split have used somewhere around 2800 as the cutoff, so most projections have had San Angelo in DI with the Midland and Odessa schools. The problem area out here is El Paso--they have only 7 total 6A teams, so if they split those between 2 divisions, some EP schools will have to join our district. No thank you 😩
                    West Texas does complicate the process. I for one think as is, the cutoff numbers are dictated by what Abilene turns in. The UIL can afford to have one Abilene school in 5A but if both were to drop, it would pose an issue for aligning the districts out west.

As for DI and DII preset, as you say, El Paso would pose a problem, unless they took the average of those 7 schools and agreed to place them into the division the average number falls in. Not sure anyone would object to that, would you?

Comment

• Warbird_Dad
                      Special Teams
                      • May 2015

Well don't listen to me. Below is an excerpt from a recent article in the Reporter News. The numbers are combined for both AH and Cooper yet the combined numbers show an increase of 41 students between the two schools, well off the 200 I boasted about.

-----------------------
                      While elementary numbers took a significant hit, student populations at all other measured levels showed slight increases compared with 2014-15. Middle school enrollment increased 72 students to 3,595 and high school was up from 4,312 to 4,353 this year.
                      I saw that too but no detail as to what the individual school change is....at least it ticked up instead of going down.

Comment

• Eagledad
                        Special Teams
                        • Aug 2015

......ahs is around 2050. Cooper at somewhere around 1800 as of now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Eagle82
                          All District
                          • Apr 2015

Excerpts from another article saying AISD down 300.

San Angelo folks. What kind of impact has TLCA made in your area?

---------------------
                          Phil Ashby, AISD Director of Communications, says that the 300-student difference in AISD enrollment from last year translates to about 2% of the about 15,000 students attending public schools in Abilene. He told Big Country Homepage that the district had already planned for this in this year's budgeting process and that the number is similar to the number of students attending a new public charter school in the community, Texas Leadership Charter Academy.

Comment

• Shady12
                            2nd Team
                            • Apr 2015

All I know is that overall SAISD enrollment rose a bit from 2014 to 2015, I think by about 100. Perhaps TLCA is slowing that down but I have no idea. Guess we'll find out when we see TLCA's enrollment compared to last time around. TLCA is new up there so maybe it's settled in some here while y'all are seeing the initial explosion.

Comment

• mike03car
                              Special Teams
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eagledad
                              ......ahs is around 2050. Cooper at somewhere around 1800 as of now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
                              That's about what we had two years ago, isn't it?
                              Last edited by mike03car; 08-31-2015, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                Special Teams
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mike03car
                                That's about what we had two years ago, isn't it?
                                No Abilene was 1907 and cooper was 1870 or so.

I have a source...............but AISD has allowed several transfers to Abilene from CHS this year already. These are academic transfers not athletic and no athlete has transferred to Abilene from anywhere to my knowledge. Cooper is actually below 1800. The difference is like 250 students of which significant number is transfers. Why would the district not try to level that out so both end up in 5A?

Comment

• Eagledad
                                  Special Teams
                                  • Aug 2015

Well it's not written in stone.

Abilene High could do what Wylie does and allow all students with 5 letters in the last name to take a day off from school on count day!

Ok, no, they don't actually do that, or do they?

Well...............................maaaaaybbbbbeee e

Comment

• Eagle82
                                    All District
                                    • Apr 2015

No Abilene was 1907 and cooper was 1870 or so.

I have a source...............but AISD has allowed several transfers to Abilene from CHS this year already. These are academic transfers not athletic and no athlete has transferred to Abilene from anywhere to my knowledge. Cooper is actually below 1800. The difference is like 250 students of which significant number is transfers. Why would the district not try to level that out so both end up in 5A?
                                    Because I believe the UIL NEEDS at least one Abilene school to remain in 6A or else it messes everything up.

There have been transfers but they all go out to Wylie. You're probably more in the know about that than I.

Comment

• Shady12
                                      2nd Team
                                      • Apr 2015

So from what I heard today today Van Cox definitely expects to stay in 6A and will have a large freshman class come in.

Sounds like Monterey and Coronado will drop and there will be a nine team district unless Abilene gets moved to the Metroplex.
                                      Last edited by Shady12; 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Eagledad
                                        Special Teams
                                        • Aug 2015

Because I believe the UIL NEEDS at least one Abilene school to remain in 6A or else it messes everything up.

There have been transfers but they all go out to Wylie. You're probably more in the know about that than I.

Actually the issue is we get more transfer from Wylie than to Wylie................Keep in mind if you are below average student at Wylie with needs then you are sent to the AISD/Abilene because of the programs that are available there and not available at Wylie...................Hence the great scores that come out of Wylie overall are more about sending the problems away than dealing with them. It is ridiculous in my opinion and we should either say form one district in Abilene and quit the separate mentality out there or say deal with your own issues. OK I am off the soap box!

Comment

• Eagledad
                                          Special Teams
                                          • Aug 2015

So from what I heard today today Van Cox definitely expects to stay in 6A and will have a large freshman class come in.

Sounds like Monterey and Coronado will drop and there will be a nine team district unless Abilene gets moved to the Metroplex.
                                          Yeppers and with Eagle82's theory I doubt we ever drop!

Comment

• Eagle82
                                            All District
                                            • Apr 2015

Yeppers and with Eagle82's theory I doubt we ever drop!
                                            I'm telling ya man, I have it ALL figured out!

Comment

• Eagle82
                                              All District
                                              • Apr 2015

Actually the issue is we get more transfer from Wylie than to Wylie................Keep in mind if you are below average student at Wylie with needs then you are sent to the AISD/Abilene because of the programs that are available there and not available at Wylie...................Hence the great scores that come out of Wylie overall are more about sending the problems away than dealing with them. It is ridiculous in my opinion and we should either say form one district in Abilene and quit the separate mentality out there or say deal with your own issues. OK I am off the soap box!
                                              Yes sir and that's not talked about much, is it.

So I guess I need to rephrase my comments.

Wylie seems to get all the kids transferring in who just happens to be playing athletics. Wonder how/if TLCA will take away from Wylie. I know the one in San Angelo had a decent football team last year I think? They must have gotten transfers from the surrounding schools.

Comment

• mike03car
                                                Special Teams
                                                • Aug 2015

I'm telling ya man, I have it ALL figured out!
                                                College Algebra and Chemistry classes this semester has my brain plenty busy already
                                                Don't want 'em, but must.

Comment

• RocklandDragon
                                                  Special Teams
                                                  • Jul 2015

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are to the ADM number on snapshot day but here are the numbers from the 2014-2015 year (taken in October 2014)

Lubbock Coronado 2,092
                                                  Lubbock Monterey 2,130
                                                  Amarillo High 2,199
                                                  Amarillo Tascosa 2,137
                                                  Wollforth Frenship 2,272

Amarillo Palo Duro 1,987
                                                  Amarillo Caprock 1,854
                                                  Abilene High 1,925
                                                  Abilene Cooper 1,806
                                                  Lubbock High 2,054
                                                  Lubbock-Cooper 1,211
                                                  Plainview 1,367
                                                  San Angelo Lakeview 1,225

Right now, Monterey is growing but I'm surprised that Coronado dipped and that's going to cause trouble. Abilene High needs to get 175 kids just to reach the cutoff of 2,100 that we had last go around.

If any of the current 6A schools from Lubbock drop, then expect a huge district again, regardless if AHS is 6A or 5A. It might be better for them travel wise to go to 5A. Two trips to Amarillo in every sport except football? Or they send Abilene east again, but Granbury and Burleson aren't near 6A levels, I don't believe.

The 5A districts could comprise of Palo Duro, Caprock, Dumas, Canyon, Randall, Hereford, and Plainview. The next one would be Lubbock, Coronado, Abilene, Cooper, Lubbock-Cooper, Lakeview.

Amarillo, Tascosa, Frenship, Monterey, Odessa, Permian, San Angelo Central, Lee and Midland would be the 9 team district. If Abilene dropped but Coronado remained, the UIL could do us a favor and make two five team districts but with only Amarillo, Tascosa, Frenship and Monterey only staying above the cutoff currently, the districts will probably merge again.
                                                  I still work for the "other" site. Don't ban me. :D

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                    All District
                                                    • Apr 2015

Abilene Wylie Watch

2014-2016 Cutoff Numbers

5A 1060 – 2099
                                                    4A 465 – 1059

2015 Enrollment Numbers
                                                    High School is 1,061 — up from 1,055 for the first day and up from 1,021 after three weeks last year.

"As of September 14, 2015, Abilene Wylie will not be accepting new enrollments on the High School level until October 10, 2015, at which time enrollment will be reinstated."

Okay, I added that quote but.... I am sure Wylie will do whatever they can to ensure their numbers don't go any higher because if they were to enter 5A, their glory days would be over.

Comment

• Shady12
                                                      2nd Team
                                                      • Apr 2015

I suspect a mass pandemic in that high school for a day or so.

Comment

• Eagle82
                                                        All District
                                                        • Apr 2015

I suspect a mass pandemic in that high school for a day or so.
                                                        yeah, they seem to have one every two years.

strange

Comment

• 93streak
                                                          Special Teams
                                                          • Apr 2015

Still think Manvel may drop to 5A, but could opt to stay in 6A

Comment

• mike03car
                                                            Special Teams
                                                            • Aug 2015

Abilene Wylie Watch

2014-2016 Cutoff Numbers

5A 1060 – 2099
                                                            4A 465 – 1059

2015 Enrollment Numbers
                                                            High School is 1,061 — up from 1,055 for the first day and up from 1,021 after three weeks last year.

"As of September 14, 2015, Abilene Wylie will not be accepting new enrollments on the High School level until October 10, 2015, at which time enrollment will be reinstated."

Okay, I added that quote but.... I am sure Wylie will do whatever they can to ensure their numbers don't go any higher because if they were to enter 5A, their glory days would be over.

Is the count day the week prior to Sunday the 10th?

Wallar said he heard AHS was close to 2100 this year.

More schools have opened up in the MetroMess, yes/no?

If so, then the cutoff likely to drop some because the top xxx (265?) school enrollments are 6A, yes/no?

Comment

Working...
                                                            😀
                                                            😂
                                                            🥰
                                                            😘
                                                            🤢
                                                            😎
                                                            😞
                                                            😡
                                                            👍
                                                            👎