X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SLC13
    '16 6A Pick 'Em Champ & '15 6A Pick 'Em Runner-Up
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Super B

the biggest problem I have with the whole Jordan thing, is he did not even have the respect or courtesy to contact Cuban and the Mavs when he started having second thoughts. This meant the Mavs were under the impression they had a "good faith" agreement with Jordan. This had a ripple effect because the Mavs stopped pursuing or did not pursue any alternative F/A options. Had Jordan informed he Mavs of his concerns they could have pursued other Free Agents. They did not find out until the eleventh hour, by which time it was too late.

Where they go from here we can discuss on the Mavs team thread.
    Yeah, I too had a problem with how Jordan handled all the aspects of this situation, but if a person's word means nothing, you shouldn't have any expectation that the little courtesy's will be done either. The leopard really showed his spots this time.

This situation will turn NBA free agency into the same circus as HS recruiting. You can bet that in the future no NBA team is going to stop pursuing alternative F/A's during a moratorium period. I can hardly wait until the first time that a team pulls back a contract and the Player's Union screams foul.........Pass the popcorn.

Comment

• SLC13
      • Apr 2015

One more F/A tidbit, I read this morning that the Wes Mathews signing is now a max deal at $70K for 4 years!?

Why are the Mav's signing this guy AT ALL, given what's happened with Jordan. $57M was silliness, $70M is just plain stupid for a guy coming off an achille's injury.

Comment

• Super B
        All District
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SLC13

Yeah, I too had a problem with how Jordan handled all the aspects of this situation, but if a person's word means nothing, you shouldn't have any expectation that the little courtesy's will be done either. The leopard really showed his spots this time.

This situation will turn NBA free agency into the same circus as HS recruiting. You can bet that in the future no NBA team is going to stop pursuing alternative F/A's during a moratorium period. I can hardly wait until the first time that a team pulls back a contract and the Player's Union screams foul.........Pass the popcorn.

Surely the moratorium rule will be eliminated or changed to a much shorter window. The NBA is the only Pro league in the U.S. that has that rule. Since this has been the way it has been going for years, NBA teams AND players should be able to trust the system. This isn't the first time the system been violated, but this is the biggest F/A and it has made the biggest impact On a team than ever before. I have to think the NBA will address it. There is an owners meeting scheduled for next week. What I would give to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.
        Super B

Comment

• Eagle2
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Surely the moratorium rule will be eliminated or changed to a much shorter window. The NBA is the only Pro league in the U.S. that has that rule. Since this has been the way it has been going for years, NBA teams AND players should be able to trust the system. This isn't the first time the system been violated, but this is the biggest F/A and it has made the biggest impact On a team than ever before. I have to think the NBA will address it. There is an owners meeting scheduled for next week. What I would give to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.
          Agree. Most definitely will be addressed because of the attention and effect this recent fiasco has caused.

Comment

• Super B
            All District
            • Apr 2015

I don't know why they would max out Matthews. Check out this story though.

Williams wants to join the Mavs now. Maybe with Carlisle he can get back to being one of the better PG's. I am hopeful anyway.
            Super B

Comment

• SLC13
              • Apr 2015

You'd think common sense would win the day and the moratorium period would just be eliminated. However, I was listening to Chuck Cooperstein yesterday and he was of the opinion that the NBA Player's Union liked the moratorium just the way it is now and that it might be difficult to change. I agree, it certainly would be fun to be a fly on the wall.

Comment

• Eagle2
                All District
                • Apr 2015

Cuban gives timeline details of events that took place with Jordan. In a post sent Friday morning on his messaging app, Cyber Dust, Cuban gave his side of the story from the day before Jordan reneged on his verbal commitment to the Mavs and re-signed with the Los Angeles Clippers. Jordan did not respond to any of Cuban's attempts to contact him on Wednesday, Cuban said, when the center welcomed a Clippers contingent to his home that included team president and head coach Doc Rivers, owner Steve Ballmer and teammates Chris Paul,Blake Griffin, J.J. Redick and Paul Pierce.
                "Through all of Monday we were texting back and forth discussing players available, the amount of cap room we had left. Who our staff liked. How excited he was," Cuban wrote.
                "Then on Tuesday the communications basically stopped and we started hearing rumblings from multiple people that something was up.
                "So I flew to Houston and got a room at the galleria, which is just a few minutes from his house. I had my driver take me to his house. It's inside a small gated community but the gate was wide open. So we drove in and I literally walked right up to his door.
                "There was no one home. So I texted him saying that I was there. I know something is up. Let's talk. He texted me that he was on a date."
                Cuban wrote that he told Jordan to have fun and offered to "come by there and say hi" or take Jordan and his date back to Dallas for a night out. Jordan did not respond.
                After about 10 minutes, Cuban wrote, he returned to his hotel. He "didn't think it was right" to sit in front of Jordan's house.
                Once at the hotel, Cuban wrote that he texted Jordan: "Have fun on this date and we will talk," and received an immediate reply from Jordan thanking him.
                "He knew I was in town," Cuban wrote. "He knew I was close by. I knew something was up. I was getting the same reports that everyone else was.
                "I also knew his agents were coming to town. It made sense that he would talk to them and worst case, even if he was having second thoughts the agent would be able to give me updates.
                "Like any big career move it's natural to have second thoughts. So while I was concerned, I still wasn't worried. So I went to bed."
                Cuban ended the post: "More to come"

source: ESPN

Comment

Working...