X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

El Cerrito hurdler impressive in state finals qualifying

El Cerrito hurdler impressive in state finals qualifying

[...] it’s not the presence of Tara Davis, one of the nation’s top all-around athletes.

Robinson negated her jitters by utilizing her speed to produce the second fastest 100-meter hurdles in Friday’s CIF State Track and Field trials at Buchanan High School.

Under warm, dry and breezy conditions, the slight 5-foot-5 junior stayed safely in the blocks, fell behind, but blew past her eight competitors in the second heat to win in 13.36 seconds.

For the first time in state history, the state meet took out human starters and replaced them with computer sensors.

Davis also qualified first in the long jump (20 feet, 8¼ inches) and triple jump (42-4).

“I’ll be lining up against one of the best hurdlers in high school history,” Robinson said.

The Princeton-bound standout was the first San Francisco Section female to win a state title last year.

With that secured, Amaechi said she is utterly relaxed and just looking to finish her prep career by enjoying the moment.

“I feel like I just won the gold medal,” Amaechi said.

Bettering your best is more important than winning.

[...] I did really well today.

There was much joy among Bay Area athletes, who advanced 49 athletes and relay teams into Saturday’s finals.

Among the highlights:

Defending state champion Alyssa Brewer of California-San Ramon led from start to finish to win her heat and record the day’s top time at 2:09.12.

“I told her she just needed to qualify (top three in each heat), but Alyssa just took it into her own hands,” California coach Mark Karbo said.

Bellarmine’s Alex Scales, the state leader in the event, posted the leading 800 boys time (1:53.88) and was one of five locals to advance.

The Bishop O’Dowd girls 400 relay team smashed its season best by winning its heat in 46.80 to qualify third, well back of Carson (45.81), which recorded the 10th best time in the country.

Carondelet-Concord (47.12) and Kennedy-Richmond (47.73) also qualified for the finals with season-best marks.

O’Dowd qualified fifth in the 1,600 relay at a season best of 3:46.47.

The anchor for both relays, Tierra Robinson-Jones, also advanced in the 400 (54.81).

Newark Memorial junior Alexis Surrell set a personal best by almost a second to qualify second in the 400 (53.90).

San Leandro senior Gino Long had a personal best to qualify seventh in the 100 (10.55).

Among others who qualified in multiple events were Santa Rosa junior Kirsten Carter (100 and 200), St. Mary’s junior Kali Hatcher (long jump and triple jump), Pittsburg senior Iffy Joyner (shot put and discus) and James Logan senior Hannah-Sophia Hall (shot put and discus).

MaxPreps senior writer Mitch Stephens covers high school sports for The Chronicle.

Top and local qualifiers for Saturday’s finals

BOYS

100 meters: 1.

Isaiah Cunningham (Rancho Verde) 10.39.

Locals: 7.

Locals: 9.

Nico Bland (Las Lomas) 48.57.

Other locals: 3.

Jett Charvet (Heritage) 1:55.01; 6.

Isaias De Leon (De La Salle) 1:54.66.

Locals: 6.

110 hurdles: 1.

300 hurdles: 1.

High jump: 1t, Parker McDonald (Serra) 6-5.

Pole vault: 1t.

Jered Espanola (James Logan) 15-4; 1t Noah Hurley (College Park) 15-4, Enzo Sison (Bellarmine) 15-4.

Long jump: 1.

Triple jump: 1.

Shot put: 1.

100 hurdles: 1.

300 hurdles: 1.

More...
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢