X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin
    TX HS Football Talk
    • Mar 2015

Daily Craig: Guy was the guy

In 1979 I was on the verge of leaving a job at WRTV in Indianapolis. I told Coach Bob Knight I was heading for Houston and most likely I wouldn't be covering the big NCAA tourney in the future. Coach Knight said "Don't be so sure, Guy Lewis knows his stuff". He was sure right about that. I, of course, covered 3 straight Final Four appearances by the Coogs under Guy in '82, '83, '84.  Watching countless practices on an almost daily basis quickly convinced me the theory that Guy "just rolled a ball onto the floor and let his players play" was total nonsense. He helped thousands of players, coaches, and would be coaches. He could deal out the discipline when necessary too.

In addition to covering UH for ch. 2 sports, I also got a call in late 1982 telling me I would replace JIM NANTZ as the host of the "Guy Lewis Show" i had more fun than I should have had. Guy took the first shot in the history of UH hoops. He missed that shot but little else in his magical years with the checkered towel. I sat with him in Fayetteville when Houston beat Arkansas in Arkansas for the first time ever. We got rid of a bucket of cold beers. He asked me to M.C. several toasts and roasts. I always pointed out GUY V. had won games in 3 countries including Arkansas. He laughed at that one. 1983 and the end of the N.C. St. game was the single worst memory in my 35 years of covering Houston sport. Lewis was taken to task for that loss and he didn't deserve it. I felt horrible when Guy lost his wife Dena.  i FELT TERRIFIC when he finally got voted into the HALL OF FAME. He seemed to like that too. I treasure my time with GUY V. LEWIS. I GOTTA THINK that checkered towel is still on the way up. 93 years was a helluva run for a Guy from Arp.

More...
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎