Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Coogs start 2017 with a new focus

Football is finally back for the Cooper Cougars and head coach Todd Moebes and the guys are ready to get going.

Ender Freeman said, "So happy. You know, it's not always fun and glory when you're weight room working out. People don't see that side of this, but now that we're finally back out here it's awesome."

The Coogs return five offensive starters and three defensive, so we know we're going to see a lot of young faces, but coach Moebes likes this year's leadership.

Todd Moebes said, "You know the team captains that we've got coming back have a lot of varsity experience. I think they're ready, they're hungry. We're going to be young on our roster. I mean everybody knows that, but I've ben very very pleased with how our senior class has really pulled in our underclassmen underneath their wing, and I think have matured them really really fast."

So staying with leadership, senior Ender Freeman leads the offense this year taking over for Austin Smith. Ender only had a handful of a snaps in 2016, but Moebes says Ender is as prepared as he should be.

Moebes said, "I mean he's a competitor. He's played varsity baseball for many years. He's been on the mound. He's been in that spotlight, and that type of deal has prepared him for the spotlight of being able to be the quarterback. He's extremely smart kid. He's a competitor. He's a leader. I mean he's everything you want in a guy pulling the trigger on our offense and leading our football team."

Freemand said, "I feel good. These last two weeks have been all football. I've been working out all the time with my wide receivers and my offensive linemen, so I feel pretty good."

A young team with a new quarterback can be a little scary for Cougar fans, but they have some offensive weapons and a new focus coming into 2017.

Moebes said, "They're very very focused. I mean they've been talking about this all season long maybe different than any other group that we've had, so you know we've obviously got to put that talk into action. They've got a great sense of trust amongst each other. I think the chemistry's really good. The leadership's good, and I feel that the execution's going to be there as well."

Freeman said, "The chemistry that we have in our locker room, I think that's something that's a different vibe I guess you could say. I like our seniors a lot this year and our underclassmen, but mostly I like our seniors a lot. The hard work they put, not just our captains our leaders, but also other seniors help us out too."

Cooper is picked second in district 4-5A to open the season behind Lubbock Coronado.

More...
Working...