Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Feeds
    • Dec 2015

Hopper Happy to Win in Abilene

The HSU Cowboys have a group of seniors who have led this team to a whole heap of firsts including this year's trip to the NCAA Division III Sweet 16. One of the guys leading the way? Abilene native Duane Hopper.

"He's definitely our unsung hero," Justin Jones said. "He doesn't put up the most points. He doesn't grab the most rebounds, but what the man does is he guards the best player."

Like Justin said, Duane makes a huge impact on the defensive side of the ball, which is where the Cowboys need him, not to mention the leadership role he plays.

"He's strong mentally and I mean he's also a captain, and he shows it down on the defensive end for us," Jones said.

Head coach Craig Carse counts Duane, along with Jones and Nathaniel Jack as leaders on the team, but also best friends and great people.

"Duane, Justin Jones and Nathaniel Jack have been like brothers, and they have never, one minute, had to talk to them about anything that would have been on the negative side," Carse said.

I'm not in the Mabee Complex, but Duane spent a lot of time in Bulldog Gym too. Like I said, Duane's an Abilene guy. He played high school ball here at Wylie, so he's contributed to a lot of basketball wins in the Key City, including a trip to the state championship his senior year with the Bulldogs. To him, playing in his home town was always the goal.

"It means a lot. I love this town, I love this community. It was my goal to stay here and win games and just represent for Abilene," Duane Hopper said.

Duane loves representing Abilene, but he also loves the fact that his family gets to see him play every game, and travel with the team.

Hopper said, "Family always comes to the home games. My grandma's travelling all over the country to watch us, so she's a big supporter."

With the school's first trip to the Sweet 16 ahead Duane will get another chance to shine for Abilene.

More...
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎