Should the Big 12 add a conference championship game?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farmer
    All District
    • Apr 2015

Should the Big 12 add a conference championship game?

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it is going to be in the best interest of the conference to add a championship game and if they do would you rather it be a neutral site game or reward the 1 seed with home field advantage that week?
  • SBBear
    2nd Team
    • Apr 2015

Yes last year was a fiasco for the Big 12 with the way that ended. settled on the field as the Big 12 commissioner said at the beginning of last year would have made TCU Big 12 Champs, instead they went back and declared co-champs???!?!?!? In this day and age of playoffs there needs to be a clear cut conference champion, all of the other P5 conferences have championship game. It should be on a neutral rotating site, Dallas, Kansas City and maybe San Antonio because of location would make some sense. Houston not having a Big 12 team wouldn't make sense except for recruiting and the large alumni bases in the city IMO....

Comment

• Farmer
      All District
      • Apr 2015

With autonomy coming and the conferences and rules being deregulated, it seems the Big 12 will end up having one even with just 10 teams.
      I was reading a college board last night and a poster had a really interesting idea and that was instead of doing a neutral site to have the number 1 team in the conference host the championship game instead. Imagine the years that Texas and OU finished 1 and 2 and if that game were held in Norman or Austin... It would give the Big 12 the championship game needed and reward the first place team and would make for a pretty bad ace atmosphere.. Not saying it would happen but I think I could get on board with that

Comment

• Hebron0608
        Special Teams
        • Apr 2015

I don't think they currently have enough teams. I believe NCAA mandates a minimum of 12 schools to have a conference championship.

Comment

• Farmer
          All District
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Hebron0608
          I don't think they currently have enough teams. I believe NCAA mandates a minimum of 12 schools to have a conference championship.
          That is true now but with autonomy coming and the conferences being deregulated then the Big 12 would be able to have one at 10 teams

Comment

• austin109
            Practice Squad
            • Apr 2015

Im going to paraphrase what I posted on the Shag on how the Big 12 needs to expand..

If the ACC can be poached then the Big 12 needs to go all in to STEAL GEORGIA TECH, FLORIDA STATE, AND CLEMSON! As a conference you hate the SEC? Good. Milk their popularity by positioning the Big 12 to be regional adversary to the SEC. Take their long term traditional rivals from outside the conference. Set it up for a Big 12/SEC rivalry week separate from the rest of college football and get some eyes on there. Think about it:

Texas/Tech v TAMU
            Georgia v GTech
            Florida v FSU
            Kansas v Kentucky/Mizzou
            Clemson v USCe

Find one other school from the ACC thats worth a $#@! to throw in too. $#@! this Louisville/Cincy $#@!. You want to be in an AAC level conference? Then dont load up on that level of team. Stealing a few ACC teams locks us in on the current SEC popularity but also gets us fans just due to SEC burn out. You lock in as conference rivals and benefit from all of their teams along with your own successes.

You hate the SEC? Good. Unite against them and make a $#@! ton of money, recruit the $#@! out of the South East, and get a ton of new fans in the process.

Comment

• svhorns
              All State
              • Apr 2015

While the SEC is a hated conference by many, I don't have an issue with it. My issue is the coat tailing A&M seems to be thriving at. I'm not sure I've ever seen a fan base take more pride in other teams accomplishments. I saw an aggy post something along the lines how dominant the SEC was in the draft because of their (SEC),not aggy draft picks. Notice, not a word about how A&M did in the draft but rather how the SEC did in the draft.

Aggy went from being Texas' little brother to SEC punching bag.

Comment

• pied
                2nd Team
                • Apr 2015

No. All the teams play each other and that's the way it should be.

I have no isssue with the SEC/B1G/ACC/etc. there are too many teams. They are a loose affiliation, not a conference. This is a$m's fourth year in the SEC. They have not played Tennessee or Georgia. The way the schedule is set up, you will have a road trip to Athens every ~16 years. I think the B1G is a little different, but it's dopey.

Comment

• Farmer
                  All District
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by pied
                  No. All the teams play each other and that's the way it should be.

I have no isssue with the SEC/B1G/ACC/etc. there are too many teams. They are a loose affiliation, not a conference. This is a$m's fourth year in the SEC. They have not played Tennessee or Georgia. The way the schedule is set up, you will have a road trip to Athens every ~16 years. I think the B1G is a little different, but it's dopey.
                  Thanks for the response. I always enjoy reading your point of view on this stuff. Given the landscape that college football is now, do you think it would hurt the Big 12 getting into a playoff if they were up against other 1 loss teams who won a conference championship game?

Comment

• pied
                    2nd Team
                    • Apr 2015

I think there was a lot of over reaction last year. I think there was a good case for six teams last year(maybe more, but I'm just going with the 4 plus Big 12 teams).

In the past, it was always good to lose early, and it does not appear things changed much.

Losses:
                    tOSU - 9/6
                    Oregon - 10/2
                    Alabama - 10/4
                    TCU - 10/11
                    Baylor - 10/18

Florida State - undefeated

Who lost last? Who was left out? Didn't ahve anything to do (or much) with the lack of a Championship game I don't think. If one of those two teams is undefeated, I'm confident they're in. Anyway, playoffs will end up killing College Football, or at least what made it special and unique in my opinion.

Comment

• Farmer
                      All District
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by pied
                      I think there was a lot of over reaction last year. I think there was a good case for six teams last year(maybe more, but I'm just going with the 4 plus Big 12 teams).

In the past, it was always good to lose early, and it does not appear things changed much.

Losses:
                      tOSU - 9/6
                      Oregon - 10/2
                      Alabama - 10/4
                      TCU - 10/11
                      Baylor - 10/18

Florida State - undefeated

Who lost last? Who was left out? Didn't ahve anything to do (or much) with the lack of a Championship game I don't think. If one of those two teams is undefeated, I'm confident they're in. Anyway, playoffs will end up killing College Football, or at least what made it special and unique in my opinion.
                      I'm with you on the last part of your post and agree with your sentiments but the realist in me also tells me that the playoffs are here for good and will only expand in the next 10 years most likely.

As for the example you're right, the time frame those teams lost seems to have possibly played a role with the committee but I keep thinking how TCU was ranked number three heading into championship weekend and Ohio Dt was outside the top 4 but their performance in a conference championship game seems to have catapulted them into that top4 knocking out the two big 12 teams

Comment

• some eagle fan
                        Special Teams
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Farmer

I'm with you on the last part of your post and agree with your sentiments but the realist in me also tells me that the playoffs are here for good and will only expand in the next 10 years most likely.

As for the example you're right, the time frame those teams lost seems to have possibly played a role with the committee but I keep thinking how TCU was ranked number three heading into championship weekend and Ohio Dt was outside the top 4 but their performance in a conference championship game seems to have catapulted them into that top4 knocking out the two big 12 teams
                        I think that's it in a nut shell. While TCU was at home resting on their record, Ohio St. was kicking around Bama and impressing the selection committee. Without a championship game, the big 12 will see a repeat of this in the future. Not every year of course but I think more often then not.

Comment

• pied
                          2nd Team
                          • Apr 2015

I hear you, and I could be wrong but I do think that last year was a unique set of circumstances that won't likely happen often, if ever again. First thing is that I see an expansion sooner rather than later. You have five "power conferences" as part of this arrangement and four spots. By definition one will left out each year at least. That will make the rest moot in time I think.

As far as last year, tOSU jumped TCU at the end, but TCU jumped FSU the week before. Heck Baylor jumped TCU and both teams won games. In the end, the committee got who they were going to have all along imo. The rest was show to demonstrate they were paying attention, which is dumb to me. It is what it is. To complicate matters, tOSU beat a team 59-0. I don;t see that happening very often in conference championship games.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎