• Show
Clear All
  • Loboe5977
    1st Team
    • Aug 2016

Lakota Way..4A Andrews Mustangs.

Disability Doesn't Stop Andrews Lineman

ANDREWS LINEMAN STORY

Lakota Way plays lineman for the Andrews Mustangs in Midland. He tried out in seventh grade and now plays offensive tackle for the Mustang JV squad.

But Lakota looks a little bit different than the rest of the team, but he doesn't seem like he thinks he's anything special at all. Lakota was born without hands with no explanation as to why. He even tried prosthetics once but those hindered him. Here's what he has to say about his situation.

Lakota said, "Kindergarten is when I really started noticing. Being around all the other kids. They would stare at me some. But it wasn't really a big deal. But I finally noticed. Oh I don't have hands.There are a couple of things that I can't do. Like tie my shoes. or my pants or whatever. But it's nothing major. It's just a never give up mentality. I've got a lot of really great guys surrounding me. And they encourage me all the time. They just make it easy. I try to use my shoulders a lot more. I get down a little lower than what most people would. To try and make up for that. To get up under their shoulder pads instead of grabbing at it. It's an awesome feeling. But it's not anything special in my opinion.. being out here.. and doing it."

Working...